The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an M&P-15 .22 that I mostly just use for missing groundhogs. Problem is, when I miss em they just keep coming back. My two problems are that I can barely see through the rear sight hole which makes accurately aiming difficult and I have a bad habit of leaving the red dot on and killing the battery which leaves me no option but to use the rear sight. I'd like to put a cheap scope on but I don't really know much about scoping AR's. Is it just a matter of getting AR mounts for any scope or do I need something with a long eye relief, special AR-specific scopes, etc?

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Just get medium to high mount scope rings and you should be fine. Then pretty much any scope meant for a .22 should work fine. Buy the best that you can afford, but definitely stay away from the cheap Made in China bargain junk scopes that you see for sale at every gun show. You're flushing your money down the commode buying one of those.

I didn't have a lot of leftover cash when I built my son's bull barreled AR, but wanted to scope it somehow. So not having much choice, I bought him a 3-9X x 32mm Weaver deer hunting scope and mounted it. The scope cost me right around $100.00. His gun is a tack driver and the scope does not look bad on his gun either.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I use Burris PEPR and Samson DMR mounts. For a .22 I'd use a 1-4x like a Bushnell or Burris or Vortex. For my extended range stuff I use a 3-15x SWFA. It's not a matter it being an AR specific scope, but what I will say is that generally you'll want something nice because it's a gun you enjoy instead of just a who-cares once a year thing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts