The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 197 Posts

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should there be antler restrictions in CWD areas?

·
Registered
12,252 Posts
At the rate we are losing hunters and the way most people practice their own AR, I don't think it is necessary to have it anywhere in the state anymore. Won't be overly long until the whole state is a CWD area either.

I agree. I also think that the culture of hunting has changed where many practice their own "AR" anyway.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
AR was not put in to make them magical 140 plus bucks it just was a way to get the hunters to shoot doe.
When a mistake kill is 500$ fine that makes most ppl scared to pull the trigger on a buck.
The whole thing was HR and still is. Aloght of guys would shoot that spike or fork horn and b done plus b happy about it now we just target the doe the baby makers to keep the numbers liw on deer population

Just think about it u don't stop population growth by letting bucks live u take away the doe. For years PA kept saying too many deer gave more tags more time it didn't work so HR was done with a great salesman gary. Kill the big doe and save the buck and u will have this he held up a rack from the double diamond ranch
Just think how many bucks there would be if we didn't shoot a button buck at all for one season . So what is are actually doing for the Hunter nothing it just created antler worship along with the TV shows

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Should there be antler restrictions in CWD areas?
At the rate we are losing hunters and the way most people practice their own AR, I don't think it is necessary to have it anywhere in the state anymore. Won't be overly long until the whole state is a CWD area either.

No there shouldn't. And Kudu raises a good point. If half the hunters that claim they only shoot mature trophy buck's really do, then AR is unnecessary.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I praise GOD that CWD has not spread down here yet, but I have to once again agree that the time for AR is passed, and from all I am reading today, has done more harm than good, from increasing the amount of "protected" deer which likely will never be anything but, to potentially stunting the growth of adding new hunters to our ranks.

·
Registered
835 Posts
It never really mattered to me if I shot a buck with a big rack, as the old saying goes ya can't eat the horns anyway. But yeah if a nice racked buck came my way I wouldn't pass it up either.
And if ya want to get kids into deer hunting changing the AR would be a good idea cause I'm pretty sure a kid just wants to get a deer.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
3 up statewide! Go elsewhere if your goal is to shoot spikes and fork horns.

Nah, make it 3 points on a side state wide and you go somewhere else to hunt your trophy. . Kinda works both ways don't it? :smile2:

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
I don't believe that for a second.I'm willing to bet once the average guy passes a small buck and doesn't see a bigger one,he's thumping the next one he sees.

You may very well be right. I don't doubt that for a minute. But you have to admit a lot of guys, especially on this board, SAY they shoot a trophy or nothing. :wink2:

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
It should be up to the individual what they shoot not everyone is chasing the rack.
I have 3 from 140 to 160 all with a bow would I have shot smaller if presented with a shot yes and have there all trophies to most.

AR just breads greed and worship. It divides the hunting ranks. I brought my boy up to shoot what makes u happy no regrets if it's not pope& young material

Is your logic far to all. It's what u want so u practice what u want and others should b Abel to practice what they wan

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
frank1969, not true, at age 16 a youth hunter needs an adult license and is subject to AR, unless they purchased a Jr license while they were 15 years old and turned 16 after they legally purchase the Jr license, then they are subject to AR with the next license they purchase.

1 - 20 of 197 Posts