The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching some AR build videos last night. One thing I noticed that I did not do when I built mine was to stake the base plate in front of the castle nut on the stock tube. Staking prevents the castle nut from loosening. Some say you should stake no matter what, others say its only necessary if you shoot the gun alot or the gun is subject to hard use, such as being tossed into a truck and bounced around, etc. Some people use locktite, and some like me have never done anything save for tightening the nut. I am just curious to see how many people do this.

I may go back and stake mine, I may not. I'm not 100% convinced that its necessary...

·
Registered
699 Posts
I have some that are staked and some that are not. I mean if you want to ensure that it won't come loose...staking is the way to go.

·
Registered
250 Posts
nope...I like to have the option to change the gun around if i choose

Also I never had mine come loose ...but then again I'm not in a hard use or life threatening environment

·
Registered
750 Posts
It's recommended to stake the nut so it doesn't come loose.
Of the rifles I've built they have not come loose, only time I've ever seen it was on one that had minor work done and just had not been tightened up the whole way. Overall when I'm cleaning and going over my rifle I'll check it to make sure it's snug as it should be.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts