The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
need some pros-cons for brand of AR to buy. everybodys making them now.
1st off I have a large gun collection but have never owned an AR style rifle.
Most likely I'll shoot a few hundred rounds and it'll sit in the safe like everything else. lol
I'm not going to mount a scope and want .223. Was considering the Smith MP mostly due to $
Smith, bushmaster, colt, etc?

·
Registered
11,277 Posts
I have shot or owned most of the bigger names including Colt, RRA, Bushmaster, S&W and DPMS. I have also put a few together from parts. I have never had trouble with any of them.

The M&P 15 is a good value and fairly priced.

The Colt is more expensive but it retains more resale value.

BTW I just put together a PSA lower. They have some good deals on their site.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
P mags had a higher profit margin in this last craze. I knew guys getting 500+ for 10 mags that were new in package.

·
Registered
666 Posts
The M&P's are a good bargain.
Goodoldboy- If you can find an off the shelf rifle that is set up the way you want it and don't customize, I don't think you'll save a whole lot by building your own.
But, if you think your going to want to change out parts (handguard, sights, charging handle, etc) then, I think a build will be more economical. Just about all that's left of my Bushmaster that's factory is the receivers, barrel, and trigger (and that's going to go too). It would have been a lot cheaper for me to have build it myself at this point.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Go to PSA like everyone said. Its possible to build a basic barebones AR from them for right around 500 bucks. You can get a fully assembled lower for $150 bucks. And then most of their bargain uppers can be had with a BCG and CH for about 400 bucks or so.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Only the lower receiver needs paper work done at ffl. Everything else can ship right to your door

·
Registered
11,277 Posts
good ole boy said:
Great thread cause I am thinkin about one.How much saving is there building one over store bought?
You will save money by building it yourself and if you want to hold onto the rifle that is the cheapest way to go.

If you intend to trade it or sell it in the future then a brand name will bring in more money and is much more desirable to buyers.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Another vote for building it yourself and another recommendation for Palmetto State Armory. I've used their stuff on several builds. I recently built one for a guy at work who wanted to go as cheap as possible. By keeping an eye on PSA sales we were able to build a complete rifle, mags and 150 rounds of ammo for right around $460.

·
Registered
97 Posts
If you don't have experience with them and aren't intending to On my way! more than one, I wouldn't recommend building a complete AR yourself. Assembling an upper requires some skill a few tools that you will end up only using once. Assembling a lower, however, is pretty simple, and you can have it done in less than an hour your first time if you look up an online tutorial.

PSA has great products, and although their CS is slow, I would recommend them. I would recommend buying a complete upper receiver group there, and a lower receiver, and lower build kit.

·
Registered
9,493 Posts
A good friend of ours bought a Bushmaster at Dunhamsfor a good price a couple months back when they threw in 4 30 rd clips and a cleaning kit.I should have pulled the trigger then.

·
Registered
9,493 Posts
I got an email from Dunhams stating they have the ORC M4 Bushmaster for $749 after a $50 rebate.Plus they,ll give you a $50 gift card with purchase.I would rather have a police version with the sites and handle.I don,t think those can be added to a ORC.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts