The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my new Core-15 AR out and was using some cheaper ammo. Brass cased ammo from stand1 Armory. First three rounds were good then a jam. Bolt wouldn't close. Cleared and tried to cycle another shell but again it wouldn't close. Cleared everything and opened it up and I could see part of the brass case in the chamber. Found the empty casing, it was about the length of a 9mm round. Torn in half. The other half is now jammed in the chamber due to the following round and the second time I tried to chamber a round.
Any ideas on how to get the remaining brass out of the chamber? Has anyone ever heard of this happening?

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
A broken shell extractor can save a guy a lot of headaches in some cases. Try taking the upper off and BCG out, then try to pick it out with something like a dental pick. I would also flush it first with Gunscrubber and Kroil.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
It was remanufactured ammo. I don't see how a brand new case would just tear like that unless it was a QC problem...

Maybe you got a shell that had been sized and shot one to many times.

If it would have been a pressure issue you probably would have blown up your gun. Did the shell show signs of gas cutting in any place? Or was it torn all jagged all the way around?

I'm with RobOz, put some kind of penetrating lubricant and try to pry it out without scratching or doing any damage to your chamber.

·
Registered
117 Posts
One time when I was shooting at Camp Perry Ohio the guy beside me had the same situation. The Marine amour took a cleaning rod with a 45 cal brush on it and stuffed it into the chamber and up into the barrel then pulled it out with the case .

·
Registered
10,657 Posts
LSandBinc said:
One time when I was shooting at Camp Perry Ohio the guy beside me had the same situation. The Marine amour took a cleaning rod with a 45 cal brush on it and stuffed it into the chamber and up into the barrel then pulled it out with the case .
I use the brass brush. If you push it in from the chamber you just want to clear the case mouth and then pull it back out. I'd use a.270 or .30 cal brush.

Since it is a new gun I would be concerned about the headspace. Did you build it? Do you know anyone with headspace gages?

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought the gun used. The other guy said he had a few jams with Tula ammo but no problems with other ammo. The ammo I tried is cheap remanufactured ammo so that might be part of the problem. I'm going to try to get it out tonight. Then possibly try a few more rounds to see if the problem persists.

·
Registered
17,117 Posts
I know that some Wolf ammo has a coating on it to prevent the steel case from rusting, maybe Tula does too.

the problem is if your gun gets hot enough, the coating starts to soften an get sticky. this will build up in your chamber and cause your gun to jam and it hard to get clean.

since the previous owner had some problems with Tula ammo maybe that is what happened to him and now you have a gun with a sticky chamber.

it could also be the neck sealant on the steel cased ammo too (at least according to the folks at ar-15.com)

see if this is the problem.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
When I turned 18 the first thing I did was I bought my first rifle by myself, a Yugo SKS at Dunhams for $89.95. I ran tons of Wolf 7.62x39 through it (at $1.50 a box why not?) and an SKS is like an AK, never needs cleaned right? Wrong.... haha

After the first couple hundred rounds it turned into a single shot, would never eject the shell. A guy I worked with had a part time gun shop and he told me that wolf had laquer coated their shells to make them rust proof and that would burn off and build up in the chamber.

When you do get the shell out get a AR chamber brush and go to town. When I did it I had shavings coming out of my SKS haha.

More importantly, were you able to get it out???

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tried the cleaning rod with various tips. No good. hit it with gunscrubber and tried again...nope. Probably going to try to find a gunsmith next.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
bohunr said:
I know that some Wolf ammo has a coating on it to prevent the steel case from rusting, maybe Tula does too.

the problem is if your gun gets hot enough, the coating starts to soften an get sticky. this will build up in your chamber and cause your gun to jam and it hard to get clean.

since the previous owner had some problems with Tula ammo maybe that is what happened to him and now you have a gun with a sticky chamber.

it could also be the neck sealant on the steel cased ammo too (at least according to the folks at ar-15.com)

The ammo is remanufactured brass cased ammo. I stayed away from the steel cased based on the experiences of the previous owner.

·
Registered
17,117 Posts
bruno said:
bohunr said:

The ammo is remanufactured brass cased ammo. I stayed away from the steel cased based on the experiences of the previous owner.
I know you stayed away from the steel case, but the previous owner did not. I was suggesting that maybe the problem with the stuck case might be due to a "gummed" up sticky chamber from the steel case ammo he used.

if you take it to a gunsmith, please let us know what the problem was so the rest of us might be able to avoid it in the future too.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The issue is definitely with the remanufactured ammo. Something is bad in their process, and that case has been reloaded too many times, or some other error. I would not shoot another round from that manufacturer if I were you.

Don't know what you paid, looking at their website, their prices are bad anyway. You can get good brand new brass cased .223 for less than what they are asking for their reman ammo.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Haven't tried anything new for a few days. Considering taking it to a gunsmith. Right now its just sitting and I've been putting some penetrating oil around the casing thats stuck and letting it soak.
I was kicking around the idea of putting some heat to the casing since it's brass and the barrel is steel but not going to try it until I check to see if it would cause damage. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
10,657 Posts
If you want you can try this. You need to get a military cleaning rod and a mallet or hammer. The military rod is steel. A soft metal rod will not work. Set the gun with the butt on the floor. Put the rod with out the jag in the barrel. Ease the rod down putting slight pressure to one side. You want the rod to contact the mouth of the case. If you make contact hold the rod in place and wack it with the mallet. Sometimes it works.

BTW it would probably be cheaper ordering a broken case extractor from Brownell's than a trip to a gunsmith. Then you would have the extractor if you ever need it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
17,117 Posts
the broken shell extractor from brownells looks like the way to go. its 19.99

you simply open the chamber, drop in the broken shell extractor, the tip fits right thru the stuck casing then you close the bolt and then pull back the charging handle removing the broken shell extractor along with the stuck casing

they also have a video that shows how to do this. neat little tool.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the info! Just ordered the extractor. The Brownells one was out of stock so I ordered the other one one their site. Hope this works!

·
Registered
10,657 Posts
bruno said:
Thanks for the info! Just ordered the extractor. The Brownells one was out of stock so I ordered the other one one their site. Hope this works!
Good move. Let us know how you make out.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts