The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a major problem with my AR. It's chambered in 5.45 and the ammo that I have is corrosive (I know now). Anyway, It was shot a lot about 3 weeks ago and I let it sit for a little over a week before I tried to clean it and couldn't get the bolt to budge. Now I'm afraid I have a cool looking paper weight. Any advice or suggestions?

·
Registered
889 Posts
Can you tell where it is locked up at?? In other words in the barrel or in the receiver area. You will also need some penetrating oil in the receiver area(probably).

Were you shooting the action "wet", or "dry"??

Hopefully you have a chrome lined barrel. Are the other parts chromed?? That will help you out alot.

Check the chamber area. That could be where you are locked up. Especially if you were shooting the rifle "dry". I always shoot my AR's very "wet" with SLIP 2000. So much that sometimes I get lubricating oil sprayed in my face. Tom.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
Hold the rifle perpendicular to a hard surface like a study picnic table. Pull down on the charging handle and firmly bring the rifle down on it's butt.

Increase the amount of force until the bolt opens.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tips. I already sprayed a lot of Rem oil down the barrel and around the chamber but it wouldn't budge. Where can you get the Kroil penetrating oil? Any auto parts store or is it specific for firearms?
I was shooting 'dry'. I had cleaned it very well the last time I had shot it (last fall) so it had some Rem oil on it but not a lot.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Remember that WD-40 is also penetrating oil. Rem-oil is not penetrating oil. WD-40 will work as well as Kroil. I have both and prefer Kroil, but again WD-40 will work. Tom.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank all. I put some padding on the floor and kept hitting the butt end while pulling the charging handle. It slowly worked out. It seemed like it was just really gummed up at the locking lugs. Tore it completely down and cleaned the heck out of it with powder solvent. everything looks OK. What worried me the most initially was that I saw some rust inside the flash suppressor and thought it might look like that all thru the barrel but it looks good.
Again, thanks for the tips and suggestions. I also got some synthetic 20W-50 so that I can run it 'wet'.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
You can also use high temp wheel bearing grease. Walmart sells a small tub for a few bucks. The grease is red in color and lasts forever.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts