The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, All my experience with AR types is with the M-16 I had in NAM back in "68". Lots of different ones to choose from nowadays. I'm thinking about getting a Colt M4 or (maybe) one from Stag Arms. How do the two compare with each other? Also, 1 in 7 vs. 1 in 9 twist, any advantage in performance in one over another? Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
661 Posts
the faster the twist rate, the better it will stabilize heavier bullets. I think there's a 77 grain match bullet out there that is better suited to the 1/7 twist. 1/9 is universally the best choice for most shooters but you won't be disappointed by a 1/7, unless you are shooting really light bullets. Colt, Smith and Wesson, Stag, Daniel Defense, Rock River Arms, CMMG, there are so many good ones out there, I don't think you can go too wrong with any of them. I'm not a fan of Olympic arms, however...
I have a Colt for work and a personally owned Bushmaster. both shoot fine, the colt is a 1/7 twist, but I don't shoot match bullets so it doesn't really matter to me.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I would take the Colt over the Stag. Nothing wrong with the Stag but if you can afford the Colt, go for it. I would also look into a newer company called Palmetto State Armory. They are fairly new to the AR game but make some really nice, quality rifles. I recently used an upper from them on my latest build (middle rifle below) and could not be happier. I would also recommend the 1/7 twist to handle the heavier bullets a little better. All of my ARs have 1/7 with the exception of one that has 1/9. The 1/7s shoot 55gr bullets well but the 1/9 begins to open up once you get heavier than 62gr. I would also look into a mid-length gas system on an M4. They shoot a little softer than the carbine gas system. I am currently waiting on my tax stamp from the ATF to finish building an 11.5" AR. The top one below is a Colt, the only complete AR I've ever purchased. The rest I built myself.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I agree. I'm deciding on what optic to put on the middle rifle and will probably go with a Vortex again but may try the SPARC instead of the Strikefire. I'm really looking at an Aimpoint for the short barrel build I'm doing.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input Guys. I really appreciate it. Once I got discharged from active duty,(way back when), I never wanted to fool around with the AR types so I never kept up with the new technologies. Thanks again.

·
Registered
958 Posts
furback,
thanks for your service.

The current black rifle market is flooded with every weapon manufacturer making an AR platform.

If your picking one up for a keepsake to your time in uniform than go with a Colt. It will hold its value just because it says Colt on the side.
If your getting one just to get one and plink with then you really can take what ever is out there. As you well know the system can be very reliable but it takes TLC.

Bushmaster, Stag, DPMS, the list goes on...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts