The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short, I wont go into details because of the severity and overall length of the story but I was at a party the other night and I was talking to a family friend who purchased an Smith and Wesson M&P 15-OR for his 18 y/o son who has aspirations of entering the military after college. I told the son to go and get the weapon because I wanted to show him how to properly field strip the weapon since I have the exact same model.
The son got the weapon, properly showed me that the weapon was not loaded and laid it infront of me. Let it be know that the son already knew how to field strip the rifle and was familiar with all of the mechanics of the weapon.
As we were discussion the rifle and talking about what extra parts I have that I could possible give to the son I was presented with this question, by a person who served in the military non-the-less.
"Give me 3 examples why anyone has the need for this type of weapon"
So this is what I said in the nicest way possible.
1. Its my money and until you work hard for my money, then you can tell me how to spend it.
2. I want one
3. Im allowed to own one.

So, I want to hear why other people decide to purchase this make of a rifle, what prompted you to want to own one?

·
Super Moderator
8,003 Posts
My response:

Give me ONE example of any other enumerated right in the Constitution, granted to the people, that requires a burden of proof (eg "why do you need to...") on the individual in order to exercise that right? If they can answer that one, then give them their requested three examples.

·
Registered
6,914 Posts
Great response TDD.

My other reasons:
1) It is a force-multiplier and permits me (one individual) to defend my family, property and neighbors against larger numbers of bad guys.

2) It permits me to do it in a manner such that my fear of being shot while reloading is slightly lessened.

3) Our forefathers were armed with the same weapons owned by the then government / army and they thought was a good idea. I do too, and so should you. Unfortunately, this is the not the same weapon used today, but it's as close as I can get.

And just for fun I might say to them...
4) My hunting rifles are far too powerful to be used on criminals. And they might complain that the really loud bangs scare them.

5) If the crapola ever hits the fan, I'm going to enjoy hearing folks like you saying you were wrong when you ask if you can now stay at my house.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts