The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I built my house in 2000 I planted some apple seeds from apples that I picked from my grandmothers apple trees along the edge of my property. 16 years later about 6 of these seeds grew into nice size apple trees and they are absolutely loaded this year!

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
I had a frost late may and figured I would be skunked, but was up to my property Monday and was pleasantly surprised with both domestic and crabapples. Kool about the seeds.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Have they produced apples prior to this year? Sometimes planting the seeds like that will not give you the exact apples they came from. I thought it had something to do with the pollination. That's why grafting is more re sure fire if you want an exact tree, but anyways I think it's awesome you grew them from seed like that. I've got 8 going from seed right now. Did you do much maintenance?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Most all apples need a different variety nearby to pollinate. Some very good apples can be grown from seed while others may be less than optimal. The apple trees sold as say a McIntosh are grown from a graft on a root stock. The root stock used determines if it is a dwarf, semi-dwarf or standard. Long story short, the seeds out of a McIntosh apple will grow into a tree, but will not produce McIntosh apples. They will be a hybrid cross between the McIntosh and whatever variety the blossom was pollinated with.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
charman03 said:
Have they produced apples prior to this year? Sometimes planting the seeds like that will not give you the exact apples they came from. I thought it had something to do with the pollination. That's why grafting is more re sure fire if you want an exact tree, but anyways I think it's awesome you grew them from seed like that. I've got 8 going from seed right now. Did you do much maintenance?
These trees produced the last 2 years but this is the best I've ever seen.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts