The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 mature apple trees that I planted some 10-15 years ago. The 1st few years the red apple produced great but the yellow apple never produced much. Last year I planted 2 more apple trees ( another red and another yellow apple) to help with pollination. My 2 mature trees get a ton of flowers but no fruit. This year I can not blame frost due to the warm winter so I am lost for reasons that these mature tress won't produce fruit after the flower phase.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
EIGHT POINT, IAM IN THE SAME BOAT, i got 45 trees , planted about 11yrs ago, last 2 yrs i had decent amount of apples, i just checked on them this past weekend, and nothing on any of them, and all had plenty of white flowers on them, so i am also lost for words , i can only think that it has to do with the frost, and lack of rain, with the heat, dont know.

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
A local guy with apple trees told me it's the same with his trees. He said the very warm weather in early spring caused the trees to flower very unusually early, then a cold snap wacked them.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Buddy of mine planted some in a forest opening, with not a lot of light. His have never produced, that I know of.

Got enough light?

Oh, and last year, after 2 years of no apples, we had a huge crop. This year, they probably got hit by frost.

·
Super Moderator
23,760 Posts
Early warming then the frost did them in from what I have been told

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
I was expecting a bumper crop of apples and pears this year. The trees were loaded with blossoms by early April.
THEN THIS CAME!

Not only this foot of snow we got in April but several frosts. Not one fruit tree is producing around my area. Now, in Bedford County, things look real good. It's amazing the difference once you get above 2,000 feet of elevation.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
The good news is: if you have young trees and bears in the area, they won't be ripping the trees apart to get the apples this year.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts