Votes: 11 73.3%
  • Pears

Votes: 4 26.7%
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to plant either apple trees or pear. I heard deer will walk past apples to get to pears? I have not seen deer doing this...has anyone seen it?

I will plant both but lean towards apple for making apple cider and eating them...pears are not my favorite.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I always recommend planting whichever is least available in the area to add variety. My findings have been if there's a lot of apples already in the area the deer flock to the pears. I have both planted in my orchard, and this year my apple trees are loaded, but I didn't get a single pear.

·
Super Moderator
27,182 Posts
Depends on where you're planting them. If anywhere near the house or cabin, I would not plant pear trees. The deer may love them, but once they're on the ground so do the dang yellow jackets. I had pear trees in the back of the property in VA, but still in an area the kids played sometimes, and don't know how many times the kids and I got stung by those bast things.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Buddy had 3 pear trees in front of his house and a few apple trees out back. His deer were all over those pears... and while they did eat the apples too the pears were gone first. Quite a few apple orchards nearby (and other fruits) none were in the 2-3 mile immediate area.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Pears # 1- Persimmons # 2 then apples because of maintenance. Be diversity, a bad year for one species may be a good year for another. buy trees advertised most disease resistant and what BCozhunter said about BEES

·
Registered
7,770 Posts
Apples, we have several right below the cabin and see them in there eating them. Also on the border line between our property and the neighbors is an old orchard that is still producing. It is always cluttered with track going after the apples. Apples gets my vote.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I personally plant Chestnut trees. They don`t take but about 2-3 years to start producing and when those chestnuts start to fall the deer are all over them. I`ve started a few from the chestnut (when i can beat the deer to them). I have also gotten a few trees at the end of the year from Rural King in the Clearview Mall

·
Registered
546 Posts
I have 7 acres here at the house and have planted apples, pears, chestnuts, and persimmons. Only the apples are old enough to produce but the idea was that if one fruit has a poor year another will hopefully make up for it.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Oct 2017 I bought some apples from local store (red delicious apples) and thought I plant a few in potting soil from seeds, plant them in the back yard. When they got 2' throughout the winter sitting on the window sill, when spring arrived I planted 5 and there doing really good, no apples yet but the deer love the leaves summer months and winter month's they chew the twigs badly. Every spring they come back looking healthy. Today 3 of them are 6' tall the other 2 catching up, not far behind.

I use to hunt an area that had pear trees along with apples in a pasture. Apples got eaten up before the pears were even touched, Deer in that area didn't like the pears maybe they got stung by yellow jackets to often and I seen more them darn things on pears than apples.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I agree with the planting of different types of fruit/nut trees best to always have a variety. We have 5 acres which had two chestnut trees on it when we bought the place now we have a half dozen.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I have both here, as others have said diversity is key. Deer seem to like them both. And i concur that yellow jackets do indeed love them some pears!! Actually have 2 areas of trees, one in the back "yard" that I maintain and harvest from and one in an about half acre opening i cleared in the middle of a few acres of thick cover, that one is left natural other then brush hogging/trimming around the trees a couple times a summer.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I cut the pear tree down in my yard. Way too many yellow jackets for sure.
If away from the house, variety is always best.

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
When pears are falling I think they trump any food source. I have an old pear tree that drops it's pears in late August early September before the season and I put a camera on that tree, I see bucks during that few weeks that I never see again. Pears seem to draw them in from everywhere. I planted both pears and apples this year and hoping they make it in a drought year, I tried to kept them somewhat watered by carrying water in 55 gallon drums in the tractor bucket.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
If you like hard cider, make it from pears, it changes your view of pears for sure.

I also vote for the variety, I have some persimmons trees to transplant yet this fall. I need to get some pear trees.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Where are you located and are there bears in the area? The apple trees around my friend's camp in Potter are annihilated. The bears climb up and break branches.

·
Super Moderator
5,017 Posts
Pears are preferred over apples. About 20 years ago, I was hunting in a cluster of apple trees ( they were great tasting apples BTW) behind my uncle’s yard. In one morning, I had three groups of deer walk through the apple orchard, walk 200 yards of open lawn, then cross Rt 144 to eat pears under the neighbors tree. My uncle watched them feed, then after an hour, they crossed the highway, the yard, and back through the apple orchard without stopping for one apple. This happened several mornings that season.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts