The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What type of apple trees do deer like? I've notice their are a few different types of crab apple trees (Sweet, Siberian, Zumi, Sargent, Magenta and Midwest) and also found some domestic apple trees. Which one would they be more attracted to?

·
Registered
654 Posts
As long as they have a big enough apple and drop off the tree, deer will eat most any. The problem with many of the seedling crabs is you won't know for quite a few years what you will get regardless of what the nursery shows in their photos. Is it a 3/4" crab that drops on August 15, a pea size crab that holds all winter long, or a 1.5" crab that drops in October or November. If you have enough room, you can plant a variety of seedling crabs and assume some will a deer magnet. Or with grafted trees, you can choose the apples or crabapples you think fit best and put them in the location you want.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Cross sargeant off your list for crabapples, although they hold on to the tree well into the winter they are about the size of a pea.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Even if a particular crabapple does not work out for fruit size and/or drop time, it will still serve as an excellent pollinator for nearby apple and crabapple trees. I can understand some concern if space is tight.

We have a few crabs that make pretty small fruit, but I'm OK with it for the pollination factor....and some type of critter will make use of the fruit, no matter how small.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts