The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An article in todays paper is reporting a blight like problem with a strain of rootstock. The Mulling 9 or M9 rootstock that has grafted strains like Fuji, Honey crisp and Gala seem to be affected by a blight that attacks the truck of the tree turning leaves yellow then red. Tree dies within weeks loaded with fruit. The rootstock is not affected. Penn state and other universities cannot determine the cause but think various weather patterns over several years attributes to the issue, possibly with environmental factors. Hope all your apples are doing well

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
I have peaches and nectarines. Every year brown rot/mold. No matter what I spay no luck. I was going to cut them down and plant apple. Have to do some research.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Been discussed for several years in the apple industry. An issue of dwarf rootstocks in high density plantings and on sites that were replanted. The rootstock dies too. For the average person with a few dwarf trees or someone planting semi-dwarf or standards, there is not much to worry about. You won't lose all your trees. And if you do lose a tree or two, there are lots of other reasons for that happening. Borers, voles, spotted lantern fly, drought, root rot, sunscald, fireblight, canker, deer, nematodes, aphids, bears, japanese beetles, tent caterpillars, herbicide overspray. No shortage of things that will damage or kill fruit trees to spend time worrying about something affecting commercial growers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts