The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Awhile back someone was looking for cider that had not been pastureized. I found some today at a farm market that had been made with Honey Crisp apples and the farmer said they put it thru ultraviolet lights. If anyone didn't want it processed that way they would make it just natural. It was really a very good cider.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
You can't beat natural cider..Pasturized cider, well, it's just not the same..Around here most of the apple farms sell it raw, and it's the only way you get that fresh , natural taste.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
I was the 1 looking for it and I found what I needed...

Strites Orchard off Chambers Hill Road.

I bought 10 gallons, 1 guy who I work with bought 5 gallons from me and I have the other 5 fermenting to make hard cider with Maple Syrup added into it at the End...makes some very good Hard Cider with that Maple Syrup added at the end!

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds good!!! The cider I bought was made with Honey Crisp apples. The cider is very good.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Woodywoodduck said:

I bought 10 gallons, 1 guy who I work with bought 5 gallons from me and I have the other 5 fermenting to make hard cider with Maple Syrup added into it at the End...makes some very good Hard Cider with that Maple Syrup added at the end!
How do you do that?

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
flocknocker said:
Woodywoodduck said:

How do you do that?
Do what, Which Part?

The getting it from strites?----Called them, asked them about it and they told me to bring my Own Container in and they would fill it the next time they pressed cider before they made their mix to sell with the perservative in it and mine would have no perservative in it...

Maple Syrup?----After it is Done fermenting, you take and filter the apple cider out of the carboy, mix maple syrup into it and taste till it is just a little sweet, then you bottle it in bottles that you can seal, not with corks but with a crimped top or a screw on top...you let it go for a few weeks and it does a natural carbonation like home made beer or soda does and ends up a semi sweet hard apple cider with a hint of maple syrup flavor, You add NOTHING to the Cider to kill the live yeast, it then starts after being bottled to eat the sugar in the Maple Syrup and causes Carbonation to come about!

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Woodywoodduck said:
flocknocker said:
Woodywoodduck said:

How do you do that?
Do what, Which Part?

The getting it from strites?----Called them, asked them about it and they told me to bring my Own Container in and they would fill it the next time they pressed cider before they made their mix to sell with the perservative in it and mine would have no perservative in it...

Maple Syrup?----After it is Done fermenting, you take and filter the apple cider out of the carboy, mix maple syrup into it and taste till it is just a little sweet, then you bottle it in bottles that you can seal, not with corks but with a crimped top or a screw on top...you let it go for a few weeks and it does a natural carbonation like home made beer or soda does and ends up a semi sweet hard apple cider with a hint of maple syrup flavor, You add NOTHING to the Cider to kill the live yeast, it then starts after being bottled to eat the sugar in the Maple Syrup and causes Carbonation to come about!
How do you ferment it?

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
flocknocker said:
Woodywoodduck said:
flocknocker said:
Woodywoodduck said:

How do you do that?
Do what, Which Part?

How do you ferment it?
AH....

Easy...

First you mix some extra Sugar to the cider then place Campden Tablets in the Apple Cider...the Campden Tablets kill off all the Natural Yeasts that were growing on the apples and got into the juice when pressed and also kill off any nasty bacteria that could be in it..

After setting with the Campden Tablets in it for 24-36 hours, you sprinkle Yeast bought from a Wine Supply store onto the top of the cider and let that sit for 24 hours, after the 24 hours of sitting with the Yeast Sprinkled ontop, you Stir it up and it takes off and bubbles like Crazy!

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
WWD I see u r back

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
doubleT said:
WWD I see u r back
T,

How can you see my Back??
Your out there in the Eastern part of the State and I'm here in the Center part of the state!

When we tagging up and running a weekend line?? I'll bring the brew!

·
Banned
6,618 Posts
Or, if you don't want to ferment it, it goes quite nicely unfermented with bourbon over ice. We call it a "Stone Fence" and drink it ONLY in October and November.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts