The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Holy heck. Just back from a friends place in Lebanon County. Some of his apple trees are about to blossom.

This can't be good......

·
Registered
13,493 Posts
Wow it is a bit early. The buds on a few of mine are starting to swell and on the pear trees too, but they're nowhere near getting ready to bloom.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd say the one tree was 2-3 days away from blooming. No more.

·
Registered
411 Posts
My apples are leafed out but not close to blooming. My peach and apricots are close to blooming and my pears look like they are at least a week form leafing out.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Can someone explain when to spray fruit trees to ensure a good disease free yield (apples, peaches cherries and plums in my orchard) My plums fall off before they are close to being ripe, peaches sometimes fall off too...apples should yield this year with cherries.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
I have 30 or so mature apple trees at my place upstate. Last year I missed the blossoms, but I had virtually no apples; less than a dozen on 2 trees. A neighbor, who also has a bunch, said it was due to a late frost. Is that accurate?

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, my trees in Potter got froze out last May. I think the one morning they had 18 or 20 degrees, right at the worst time.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Frank, there is no easy answer to your question. How old are your trees? Are they showing any signs of disease? How big are the fruits when they fall off? Do you water? Are they getting enough sun? What are you spraying with now? What varieties of each do you have? There are different diseases that need sprayed at different times with different sprays.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
I hope mine blossum around July 4th...
, lost them all to that frost last year in May and don't think it did not change deer patterns on the hill.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Losing an apple crop makes a difference, thats for sure.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think if I was a fruit grower I would be very worried.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I see 2 of my trees starting to blossom today, Northern Pa.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think, and don't quote me, but if the blossoms turn black, yer done.

Just because you have frost on the ground, doesn't mean you'll lose the apples.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Thanks for providing the little bit of hope Dutch, the blossoms are not black yet. These trees draw the deer into the back yard thru out the fall and winter seasons.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts