The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone hike this section, going in off 325 in a couple of weeks, going to hike to somewhere past rattling run on the first day, wondering where the good campsites are located in between rattling run and yellow springs.

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Buehler Buehler

·
Registered
982 Posts
Sounds like your hiking north on the AT. I actually hiked south starting at PA 72 and hiked south to the Susquehanna River last year between Christmas and New Years Eve (33 cold and wet miles with some snow mixed). There is a camp site right past yellow springs trail (approx 0.2 miles). We tented there our first night out. There are actually 2 sites about 50 yards apart from each other. They are both on the right hand side hiking north. There is no water there but you can load up at Rattling Run. About 4.6 miles more is Rausch Gap Shelter. Nice shelter with a stream and camp site behind shelter. Good luck.

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, using this trip to ferret out our camping set up for when we go to Montana elk hunting in October, We should get past Rattling run the first night, not sure how far past, all depends on what time we hit the trail.

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
That section up on Peters Mountain is very rocky, so be ready for that. I thought that section was dismal, unappealing.

There are a lot of trails in NC PA that are far less rocky, and more scenic, have more stream crossings, so are generally just more enjoyable.

Susquehannock Trail, Black Forest Trail, Loyalsock Trail, Chuck Keiper Trail, Donut Hole Trail, and many others.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Black Forest Trail is a gut buster. I've done it twice but very nice. The West Rim Trail is very nice with many vistas along the way. You can do the whole trail (about 30 miles) but I was not impressed with the remaining 14 miles (not many overlooks and trail needs cut back some). Start at the north end and hike to the picnic area. Two day hike. Get some extra water and stay at one of the vistas (no water there except at the picnic area).

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We did some day hikes up in Potter, just hiking with 50lbs in a back pack. Id much rather do a weekend trip up there, however RT325 is 30 minutes from my door and RT443 20 minutes, so we can be on the trail at 3pm on friday and have half a day to get to where we want to camp, enjoy dinner and the woods without rushing around in the dark to get things set up. Yesterday we did 4 miles (my pack 64lbs, hers 30lbs) man I can feel that in my back today. We hit the trail on Friday should get 5 miles or so in before we make camp, do about 7 the next day and then last 4 on sunday, the weather looks awesome!!!

·
Registered
982 Posts
Good luck. Sounds like your carrying a lot of gear for 2 nights. My sister and I are planning 2 different hikes on the AT. First one from Rt 16 up to Rt 30, 16 miles (October 10th weekend) and Shippensburg Rd to Rt 30, 11 miles (November 7th weekend). It is easier in cooler weather with no bugs at night or while hiking. I think our packs will weigh mid to low 30's. Have fun.

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We're not lugging anywhere near that weight this weekend, all that weight is just to get in shape for Montana, Im thinking my pack is going to top out at 35lbs and hers around 20.

Have a great time yourself!!

·
Registered
982 Posts
Hiking the AT next weekend with my sister. Going from around the MD/PA line north to Route 30. Hopefully some leaves will be turning color. Two nights out.

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We did 16.5 miles, I had 55lbs and the Girlfriend had 35, as a surprise I packed 1/2 case of beer, 2 steaks and 3 baked potatoes for 12.5 miles, boy was she surprised when I cracked a cold one at Rausch Gap lol

·
Registered
982 Posts
Ghost said:
We did 16.5 miles, I had 55lbs and the Girlfriend had 35, as a surprise I packed 1/2 case of beer, 2 steaks and 3 baked potatoes for 12.5 miles, boy was she surprised when I cracked a cold one at Rausch Gap lol
Great surprise. You ate and drank well. Was that Rausch Gap shelter? Great drinking supply right in front of the shelter. When I was there last December 28 it was pouring and about 35 - 40 degrees. Two South bounders were taking a zero there since the weather was so bad. Spent about 2 hours there until the rain slowed down a little. We hiked on to the camp site a couples miles south of the shelter. To bad we didn't have any beer.

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We stayed south of the shelter across the creek, we were really surprised by the number of people we saw, heck there was even one girl hiking by herself around the general.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Ghost said:
We're not lugging anywhere near that weight this weekend, all that weight is just to get in shape for Montana, Im thinking my pack is going to top out at 35lbs and hers around 20.
I recently returned from a Colorado elk hunt doing the same thing you're planning. Hiking in 3-5 days, and coming back out to resupply. I just looked up Montana's elevation which topped out at around 12k feet. Nothing here prepared us for those elevations and the lack of oxygen. Our packs averaged about 50 - 60 pounds (individual camping gear, water, food, and hunting gear; bow, extra clothing). I saw from your profile that you are retired. So am I, my friend and I are both in our 60's. Start packing 50 lbs. and climbing at least 1000 ft elevations. And when you think you're in shape, do it again. Good luck to you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts