The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question. I see a lot of rabbits at camp in Centre County, Alleghany Plateau, about 2000 feet in elevation. They have a dark patch between their ears and their ears are trimmed in black. They don't seem smaller than an eastern cottontail though. Are the rabbits you guys hunt in the mountains Eastern or Appalachian Cottontails? Thank you.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have a question. I see a lot of rabbits at camp in Centre County, Alleghany Plateau, about 2000 feet in elevation. They have a dark patch between their ears and their ears are trimmed in black. They don't seem smaller than an eastern cottontail though. Are the rabbits you guys hunt in the mountains Eastern or Appalachian Cottontails? Thank you.
Nuttin?

·
Registered
24,728 Posts
Probably take a biologist to tell the difference, just splitting hares if you ask me

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Probably take a biologist to tell the difference, just splitting hares if you ask me

:) funny

·
Registered
9,609 Posts
I was told there are only two way to tell the difference between both species, one is to look at the skull plate(forget what the difference is) and the other is a DNA test. They were supposed to do some habitat work along with capturing and having hunters turn in rabbits to get an idea of the population here on the ridges of southern Centre county. But like most other plans, this was not carried out. If they are here in southern Centre, I'm sure they are also up in your area.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was told there are only two way to tell the difference between both species, one is to look at the skull plate(forget what the difference is) and the other is a DNA test. They were supposed to do some habitat work along with capturing and having hunters turn in rabbits to get an idea of the population here on the ridges of southern Centre county. But like most other plans, this was not carried out. If they are here in southern Centre, I'm sure they are also up in your area.
Thanks Lost. Sounds about right.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
I spoke with Emily Boyd about this a few years ago and she said that she would need the skulls of any rabbits we harvested to be able to tell which species they actually are.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts