The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apology to the board, their must have been some of this story that was told to myself that was wrong. I appologize for the post.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Re: Felony hunting license question

He can buy a hunting license, there is nothing in PA law to revent him from doing so.

·
Registered
707 Posts

A crossbow is not a firearm and there are no restrictions on felons buying a hunting lic. that I know of.

·
Super Moderator
12,810 Posts

pretty sure its fine...

why would it not be??? you can archery hunt...and i THINK muzzle loaders as well...dont quote me..but i believe felons cant have access to rifles and handguns...but could trap, bow hunt and hunt with a muzzleloader...

i believe it goes something like felons cannot possess firearms or ammo..but i do not believe archery gear or muzzle loaders are considered firearms...but like i said, i could be wrong...

someone should have a better answer shortly id bet..

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

//

·
Banned
26,979 Posts

I am not an advocate of felons by any stretch of the imagination. However, I doubt the deer really cared if it was a felon who laid him low.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Hear that. It is just sad that people like him are among the hunting community, again who robs a gun store anyway?

·
Registered
1,478 Posts

I was told a convicted felon lives near me and is not allowed to possess firearms. His hunting license was not affected, so he bought a bow. But the WCO found him hunting over bait and now his hunting license is revoked.

You would need to look up the definition of "firearm" in the state and federal codes to determine whether a smokepole is included. Since they need not be registered, I doubt they are illegal for a felon to possess.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts

This has been discussed several times here before. Under the Crimes Code, a felon may not possess any kind of firearm, modern or black powder, or muzzleloader.

·
Registered
21 Posts

Dear Mr. Bowhunter,
It is foolish for you to post untrue,slanderous,libelous, and defamatory statements on a public forum. Where should I start. The buck scored 209 not 160. Cabelas did not petition for the rights to this deer for "sick money". He was not caught coming out of the back of a local gun shop. And last but certainly not least he was NEVER convicted of a felony or any other crime. To think that you can spew this unsubstantiated lie on a public forum with no repercussions is foolish. This incident was almost ten years ago and was perpetrated by a teenager. There were NO firearms of ANY kind involved. I suggest you get your facts straight before you decide to hide behind your computer screen, brave Mr.bowhunter, and spread defamatory fairytales. Just get in line with all the rest of the green eyed monsters that were sounding off on this "community" of "sportsmen" when a guy who made a mistake as a teenager shot the buck of a lifetime and wanted to share it with his fellow hunters. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone! SHAME! Shame on you all! I'm embarrassed to stand among you as a fellow hunter!

·
Banned
26,979 Posts

Uh oh, Is that the sound of a lock being closed!

·
Registered
2,074 Posts

CJonesSr said:
Dear Mr. Bowhunter,
It is foolish for you to post untrue,slanderous,libelous, and defamatory statements on a public forum. Where should I start. The buck scored 209 not 160. Cabelas did not petition for the rights to this deer for "sick money". He was not caught coming out of the back of a local gun shop. And last but certainly not least he was NEVER convicted of a felony or any other crime. To think that you can spew this unsubstantiated lie on a public forum with no repercussions is foolish. This incident was almost ten years ago and was perpetrated by a teenager. There were NO firearms of ANY kind involved. I suggest you get your facts straight before you decide to hide behind your computer screen, brave Mr.bowhunter, and spread defamatory fairytales. Just get in line with all the rest of the green eyed monsters that were sounding off on this "community" of "sportsmen" when a guy who made a mistake as a teenager shot the buck of a lifetime and wanted to share it with his fellow hunters. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone! SHAME! Shame on you all! I'm embarrassed to stand among you as a fellow hunter!

How do you know he was talking about you? He could have been talking about an entirely different person. Do you two know each other away from this board and have issues with each other? Just wondering.

·
Registered
12,310 Posts

Whether it is legal for a convicted felon to have a bow and arrow or crossbow depends on whther he is on parole or probation and the terms thereof. Standard language of state probation here prevents possession of any weapon PERIOD! The firearms laws prohibit certain invdividuals from having firearms. The terms of probation may prevent them from having archery equipment and/or crossbows.

A local two legged skunk is prohibited from having firearms, lost his PA hunting rights for alotta years, but still runs around with a crossbow in his truck and still hunts with firearms in Maryland. He even had the nerve to report a stolen hand gun after a burglary and the cop didn't charge him. His PO said if we get picture of him with the crossbow, he'll be in jail for at least 90 days.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts

You own a camera?

·
Registered
893 Posts

zimmerstutzen said:
Whether it is legal for a convicted felon to have a bow and arrow or crossbow depends on whther he is on parole or probation and the terms thereof. Standard language of state probation here prevents possession of any weapon PERIOD! The firearms laws prohibit certain invdividuals from having firearms. The terms of probation may prevent them from having archery equipment and/or crossbows.
Any and all arguing aside , This IS correct

·
Registered
2,143 Posts

skube said:
CJonesSr said:
Dear Mr. Bowhunter,

How do you know he was talking about you? He could have been talking about an entirely different person. Do you two know each other away from this board and have issues with each other? Just wondering.
....It was quite obvious who he was talking about as soon as he mentioned the location of the kill. Anyone who follows hunting in this area would have known who he was refering to.

·
Registered
12,310 Posts

Yep John, I have a camera. But it doesn't take x-ray pictures of what the guy keeps behind the seat of his truck and since he knows I turned him in last time the WCO busted him, I doubt very much that he would fold down the seat to show me, even if I asked politely. I do know that the local wco stays in touch with the Maryland DNR enforcement folks to try to catch the guy in Maryland with a firearm.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts

Don't get your britches in an uproar.I'm not from that area so it wasn't quite obvious to me and I don't follow hunting in that area. Sounds like there's a lot more to this story than we're being told.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts