The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Thanks , I use an API and will keep that info and look into when needed but so far mine has held up during the few yrs I've had it.

·
Banned
462 Posts
API didnt go under contrary to the links info! You can also get replacement sleeves for your API chains, Summit cables, and Loggy Bayou cables on API for a great deal and there heavy duty

·
Super Moderator
13,507 Posts
One of my tree stands is an API. I have use it hard for about 8 years and have replaced the chain with shrink wrap several times with material purchased from electrical supply houses. It isn't cheap.

My Timber Tall stand started to make an unacceptable noise near the end of last hunting season. I sent a note to the co. and they sent me replacement plastic hoses to cover the cable. It does appear to hard so I am looking for a softer mater which will hopefully be quieter. I have a piece of water hose to try??

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I took a close look at timbertall stands before. Only thing that stopped me from getting one was the plastic hose. Water hose could quiet it down a bit.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
if you read the link.... the i/d needs to be 5/8... outside is 3/4 rubber hose is a different size, the reason you use the clear tubing so when you boil it it gets soft enough to be pulled on the chain ....when it cools it is tight on chain...... my works perfect.... no noise! if you used rubber hose that wasnt tight... what would stop it from rolling on chain and making stand slip....you choose

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
put a little flat paint on the tubing ...... your good for years... cost 8 bucks....Look... the paint only missing on the inside........i climbed 40+ trees

·
Super Moderator
13,507 Posts
secret said:
if you read the link.... the i/d needs to be 5/8... outside is 3/4 rubber hose is a different size, the reason you use the clear tubing so when you boil it it gets soft enough to be pulled on the chain ....when it cools it is tight on chain...... my works perfect.... no noise! if you used rubber hose that wasnt tight... what would stop it from rolling on chain and making stand slip....you choose
Very good point...Have you experienced this rolling? Can you heat the clear vinyl as we do the shrink tubing with a torch to get a tight fit without burning it????

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
click on link ......read.....follow steps.....i did not create this..... the link is a person who figured this out ....im just sharing it because it works!!!!!! best thing i ever did to aAPI treestand . try it .......it works...... for 8 bucks at home depot!! i found mine back in plumbing

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
Born2Hunt said:
Very good point...Have you experienced this rolling? Can you heat the clear vinyl as we do the shrink tubing with a torch to get a tight fit without burning it????
There is no need to worry about anything rolling. The force of your weight down on the stand causes a cantilever moment arm, which pulls the chain in to the tree. The aluminum arms of the stand hold that chain up at a certain angle, and the weight keeps it snug against the tree. It isn't going anywhere with your weight on it, regardless of what you have on the chain.

As for the original covers wearing out due to climbing.....mine never wore out from climbing like the data sheet said, but they did get brittle over time and start to crack a little. Doesnt really bother me, but I might do the old tubing method just to see how I like it. Curious how well the "drilling" holes works with such a soft material.

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
By the way, my API Bowhunter is the best darned stand ever, and I would gladly buy another if I ever needed to replace it!! Awesome stand!!

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
what i noticed the most about this upgrade was.......the cable stayed in the shape of a U all the time....up or down....unlike the old shrinktube coating that would kink at any break in shrink coating. sometimes getting caught on tree ! drilling was no problem.. took a exacto knife and took away any burs in holes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts