The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for someone to show me the ropes in predator hunting. My 10 year old son is really interested and its something that I have not done before. If you are interested in letting us tag a long during a hunt or two so that we are able to gain experience I would appreciate it. We are in the Lancaster area but are willing to traveling with in reason.Thanks

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
221 views and no takers.Come on people help a desperate father out.My boy is driving me nuts.I just dont want to go around educating all the foxs and coyotes trying to learn.

·
Registered
9,499 Posts
Good luck! As coyotekilla said - You are a ways off from me.

Get your furbearer license, a cheap mouth call, take an old flashlight and color the lense red and go give it a try.

Use Youtube for an example of how to make a rabbit distress - it's not hard. Find a field that borders a rather thick wooded area. Keep your light on the entire time - call every 5 minutes or so. If you see eyes, don't blast away on your mouth call.... try lip squeaking. If that doesn't work, try the mouth call as quiet as you can.

Just my opinion, if you can't find someone to take you. Your request has only been up for a day. GIve it time - someone will hit you up. If they don't, take your boy out and give it a try.

I personally like to wait until the snow flies to start hunting predators. I'm getting the itch real bad, though.

Read my sticky and see if it helps.

http://www.huntingpa.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2023486&page=all

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
06 Get a grey fox pup recording and a shotgun and find a thick brushy area
Setup in an opening or a logging road of some sort and play the sound
Repeat these in different areas and congrats on you and your sons first fox

·
Banned
4,532 Posts
How far are you willing to go? I'm near Quakertown and have some nice spots. Probably close to 1.5 hours for you. Be glad to help out if you want to do the drive.

John

·
Registered
231 Posts
I may be able to help. I am in So. York Co., about 2 miles from the Normanwood bridge. Send me a PM and we'll go from there.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
I think that some of the reason that you are not getting a lot of offers to "show you the ropes" is because most of us feel that we are still learning "the ropes" ourselves......

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Takemrarely said:
I think that some of the reason that you are not getting a lot of offers to "show you the ropes" is because most of us feel that we are still learning "the ropes" ourselves......
+1
i can attest to kenbucks beginners tutorial.. i have gained so much knowledge from that and trial and error its not even funny. once you get a good system going and since you have someone to hunt with its nice to have someone call, someone use the light and shoot, or vice versa...

any questions do not hesitate to ask.. im in williamsport and obviously too far away to bring you, butttttttt... if you have access to some property down your way i would be interested in coming to you and show you at least what i know

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I would be glad to take you out. Heck, half the time I want to go out I end up staying in because nobody wants to go and hunting alone is getting old.

Sent you a PM.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
please resend it, i had my inbox full

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
sorry i posted in the wrong message lol.. carry on

1 - 14 of 14 Posts