The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 348 is a standard model and I would love to kill something with it!,,,Anybody using one of these ?

·
Super Moderator
7,820 Posts
Couple of my friends each have a carbine (Browning "repro") and love them. I will own one eventually.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a couple of boxes of Winchester 250 gr. Silvertips squirreld away..Would love to kill a buck with one!

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
My brother caries a nice Win '71 in bear season and shoots a doe with it every now & again.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Own them, love em'. Years ago I saw a Deluxe in a gun shop. He had it sitting on a counter stand. It was used hard, wood beat up badly, carry wear on the receiver, not pretty.
The story was it came from Alaska, and a daughter had sold it to this shop for cash. The big yellow tag on the lever said $995.00 I tried my best to bargain down, the owner held firm. I remember I even got a bit mad at him, I was a good customer, and he never stuck fast before but this time he did. I left in a huff, I was younger and a tad high strung. I stewed on it for a day, assembled the cash, and returned. The counter stand held some meaningless new gun, and the owners father stood behind the counter. He has silently watched the saga the day before. All he said was " Listen Joe, the time to buy something rare is when its in front of you". I learned my lesson !

·
Super Moderator
7,820 Posts
I've learned that lesson a few times myself, on a Krag, a Trapdoor Carbine, a Swedish mauser carbine, a fwt M70, etc, etc, etc. One day I'll remember it....

·
Registered
11,103 Posts
tdd said:
I've learned that lesson a few times myself, on a Krag, a Trapdoor Carbine, a Swedish mauser carbine, a fwt M70, etc, etc, etc. One day I'll remember it....
Me too! Especially online. I had stuff "disappear" in minutes because I hesitated. Now "I'll take it" has become part of my vocabulary.

My buddy use to hunt with his 71 during the old doe season. It doesn't come out much anymore because he has trouble seeing with open sights.

·
Registered
11,103 Posts
He never sells anything.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
i know of one that was just passed down to someone who doesn't shoot or hunt. i told them it is a valuable gun and if they ever want to get rid of it, i'd be interested and to not take it to a gun shop to sell. it sounds like a deluxe in excellent condition but i haven't seen it. i may own it one day.

·
Registered
324 Posts
A good friend and co-worker had one he bought it and fired a total of 4 shots to sight it in - went on a moose hunt in Canada - fired 1 shot and killed a bull moose. He had just re-married to his new wife and was diagnosed with cancer and passed away after only a couple of weeks.. His new "wife" gave away his guns to her family members and the model 71 went to her son from another marriage.. I heard he sold it at a bar for drinking money..Grrrr!

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
Boat Capt said:
His new "wife" gave away his guns to her family members and the model 71 went to her son from another marriage.. I heard he sold it at a bar for drinking money..Grrrr!
That's how I came into possession of my first pre 64 model 70. A friend of mine bought it from a drunk for $300 who needed beer money. I got it at his estate auction for $400.

·
Registered
549 Posts
tdd said:
Man, I need to walk into a deal like that. Guess I should hang around bars...?

If you think drunks are a good source of cheap firearms you should hit up some coke heads or heroin addicts. No one sells other peoples stuff cheaper than them.

·
Super Moderator
7,820 Posts
OK, wasn't my intended meaning.....sorry.....

So back to Winchester 71's- I've seen a few originals here and there for a pretty penny, but I know guys running the Browning replicas. Anyone ever do a side-by-side comparison of the replicas and originals?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts