The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trifexis for heart worm? I used to use intercepter and this Trifexis is pretty much the same thing and I have no idea when Intercepter will be back on the market.

·
Registered
24,784 Posts
Dosing for Ivomec as a heart worm prevention program:

0.1 cc per ten pounds of body weight

1/10th of a cc/ml for each ten pounds of your dogs weight

EX: a 40 pound dog would get four tenths of a cc

***Not recommended for herding breeds****

·
Registered
12,138 Posts
You mean the horse wormer paste or the drench or injectable?

I've used the huge paste tubes from Safeguard (can't remember the active ingredient) for everything, from dogs to cattle and horses. Dosing is not as critical and it is nearly impossible to over dose an animal

·
Registered
24,784 Posts
Fenbendazole is the active ingredient in safeguard... Does not prevent heartworm. A very good and safe broad spectrum wormer but not for heartworm

Dosing is important... don't give bad scoop!!

Ivermec injectible! but it is usually given orally to dogs on a piece of bread

Ivomec is a thick liquid and it takes a large gauge syringe to administer sub cu

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
We use ivomectin for our hounds...

We mix it with food grade propylene glycol I believe it is...

Makes it easier to measure...instead of .6cc for a 60# dog we us 60cc of the solution and squirt it on their food...

Been over a year since we mixed it so I can't remember details...I just did what my buddy told me too lol...

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
my buddy has done it that way for years and years...my guess is because he has big syringes for his cows and they dont have fine measurements on it..and the glycol is sweet and dogs readily eat it...i mix it on scraps or canned food and i know it got gobbled up..

ive seen some really picky dogs when it comes to wormers and medicines..others will eat anything and keep it down...

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Gentlemen,
I like the external meds for Heart Worm and most all other paracites also. Have been using it for many many years now, with 100% success. It is more expensive than Ivermic, but safer for the dogs.
Pine Creek/Dave

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
If you're having problems finding Ivermectin, food-grade propylene glycol, small incremented syringes, or addition glass containers to hold mixed solutions; Amazon has it all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts