The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All:

I own a 1961 Model 88 Winchester in 308 that I have used a number of times but without luck. Since it is a lever action, I might bring it with me for my first PA hunt this year. To cure a part of my bordeom, I wanted to know if any of you PA hunters use them? If so, what did you take with it? I have shot mine a number of times and w/ factory loads, I can get 2 MOA most of the time with it. It is a fine rifle, lousy hunter.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
We just had quite a long thread here lately about them. Yes, they are popular here in Pa. Great guns.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
killed my first deer at age 12 (doe) with a m88 post 64 in 308...it was my grandfathers..i borrowed it from my grandmother to take that year....

hope its mine one day...

·
Registered
323 Posts
I killed my first buck with my grandfather's model 88 (.308) 15 years ago. I shot one doe with it after that and it hasn't been back out since. It is the one gun I baby like no other.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
I have one, a pre-64 model in .308
I killed my first deer (doe) and my first buck with it, I still hunt with it every now and then.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Only rifle I use, its collector status is collecting big game.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
I on occasion take my fathers 88...308
Out hunting. I just prefer a bolt action, but I do like using the model 88 from time to time. I'm not a collector , I does me no good lying around the gun cabinet. I would never sell it because it was my fathers, so it doesn't matter to me what it's worth .

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I also prefer a bolt gun, but have used a model 88 in 308 to shoot several buck deer. I inherited the 1963 rifle from a good friend and carry it sometimes. I also inherited my Dad's Savage 340 in 30-30 and have used it successfully as well. Nostalgia is a wonderful thing.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
My brother has one in 308 lever action that pap gave to him. He killed a buck each year on the first day for 5 years. Then he quit.

Love the looks and feel of it. I used it a couple years when he quit hunting. Missed two buck the first year then went back to my 300 savage and killed a buck on the last day. The next year, missed a doe. All were pretty darn close shots from a rest too.

Gave gun back to brother. Did have trouble keeping the scope on bullseye each year and figure that was the problem.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
The problem wasn't the gun, it was the scope or mounts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts