The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a pressure cooker as a gift and have no clue how to use it. Haven't even taken it out of the box to read the instructions. I want to keep it cause I love to cook and am thinking about getting into canning. Does anyone have any experience with pressure cookers? If so where can I find recipes for pressure cookers? Or if you would like to share a recipe that would be great. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
JAron,

I still use one.

Just throw the roast into the pot with whatever you'd toss it into the oven with, and cook it for 1/2 hour, 45 minutes

Most tender roast you will ever have

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
I use mine for canning, have yet to do a roast but will soon. There are lots or websites and books out there. Just do a search for pressure cooker recipes. Cold packing deer meat is the best!!!

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was talking to a guy at work about deer cold pack. He said it tasted great. I know that some people keep their recipes kind of secret. If so that's fine. If not is there any way I could have the recipe for cold pack? Also, what are some sites where I could find a good recipe for cold pack?

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just did a search on cold packed deer and wow are there a bunch of recipes.

·
Registered
579 Posts
your instruction book might have recipes & guide lines to go by. I just use mine for canning. got it as a gift 2 years ago & never thought much about using it for cooking even though I heard good thing about it.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Jaron, i use my pressure cooker ALL the time. one of my fav's is a tough beef roast, a kiwi and a can of salsa. smash the kiwi and rub it all over the meat, let it sit in the fridge for 10 mins while you get the pressure cooker out and set it up. pour a half a can of salsa (big one) into the pot, put the meat in, and then the rest of the salsa. Add a half a can of water. Heat till rocking and process for about 40 mins.

When you crack the cooker, the meat will be as tender as any roast your mom ever made back in the day.

I also use my PC for squirrels. I pack the little buggers into the pot and then cook for about 40 mins (30-40 mins seems to be the point where most meat goes from cooked to TENDER. 45 mins is tenderer, and up to an hour does nothing more beneficial. I just made squirrels this past weekend, very easy.

4 squirrels quartered, add just enough water to cover, add 1 chicken boullion cube for a little flavor. process for 40 mins, and remove the squirrels to cool slightly. while cooling, i add a bag of frozen mixed veggies, a can of cream of chicken, a can of cream of mushroom, one box of stuffing(sometimes i don't put the stuffing IN, but make it per the recipe and then put it on top of the squirrel mix, bake for a half hour at 350. sorry, i'm rambling, but you get the idea. I just got done eating squirrel leftovers for lunch today...so yeah, i'm a little squirrelly

·
Registered
614 Posts
This is ez and good, We use more carrots as we really like them.
CHICKEN SOUP

8 CHICKEN THIGH’S (I REMOVE SKIN)

ADD 8 CUPS WATER

3 CHICKEN BULLION CUBES

2 TSP. SALT

½ TSP PEPPER

1 STALK CELERY

1 SCALLION OR ONION TO TASTE

2 CARROTS DICED

1 TSP PARSLEY

COOK IN PRESSURE COOKER 18 MIN. COOl BY ITSELF.

TAKE 2 CUPS OF BROTH, MIX WITH ONE PKG. SERVAGRAVY (CHICKEN)
ADD TO THE OTHER BROTH, REMOVE CHICKEN, CARROTS, AND ADD TO THE SOUP.

COOK ONE 12 OZ. BAG OF BOW TIE NOODLES, WHEN DONE ADD TO CHICKEN SOUP.

CHICKEN SOUP

8 CHICKEN THIGH’S (I REMOVE SKIN)

ADD 8 CUPS WATER

3 CHICKEN BULLION CUBES

2 TSP. SALT

½ TSP PEPPER

1 STALK CELERY

1 SCALLION OR ONION TO TASTE

2 CAROTS DICED

1 TSP PARSLEY

COOK IN PRESSURE COOKER 18 MIN. COOK BY ITSELF.

TAKE 2 CUPS OF BROTH, MIX WITH ONE PKG. SERVAGRAVY (CHICKEN)
ADD TO THE OTHER BROTH, REMOVE CHICKEN, CARROTS, AND ADD TO THE SOUP.

COOK ONE 12 OZ. BAG OF BOW TIE NOODLES, WHEN DONE ADD TO CHICKEN SOUP.
Stant

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks a lot for the recipes. I got one of those electric ones that's programmable. Are they ok for canning also?

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
I have an electric one also and it works good. Only problem you will find is that most likely you will only be able to use pint jars but its more than enough for 2 people in one jar.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Mom's basic venison canning recipe per Quart jar:

1 Tsp. canning salt
1/2 medium onion
1 bay leaf (optional)
1 clove garlic
pack jar full of meat
process

Been doing it that way for years and there is no reason to change!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts