The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
I've shot it for 3 seasons now, I love it, never had a problem. Plus, anyone who knows me, I do not treat my guns well. I use it fresh and salt. My only suggestion is get the "real" versa max. DO NOT buy the "sportsman" version. Those are just cheaper versions, and I have heard of problems with any of the sportsmans models, you get what you pay for I guess. Same goes for the 11-87, I have two of them, but they are the special purpose model, not the sportsmans, and I have had very few problems with them, with the exception of I don't clean them, and expect them to keep running. The Versa seems to keep running, with only one cleaning a season or so.

A gun is all how it feels to you, all the major guns are awesome, benelli SBE, Beretta extrema, etc. But I've shot Remington all my life, and that is what I feel comfortable with, and I shoot the best with. I'm glad they finally came out with the Versa Max.

The major gun brands are just like trucks, everyone has had different problems with each brand, chevy, ford, dodge, what ever. Guns are pretty much the same.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Go over to shotgunworld and scroll down to you hit the Remington form. Some 600 pages worth of stuff. From what I've read they seem to be a good gun. A lot cheaper than a Versa max. duckhunting chat has sosme posts about the gun also.

·
Banned
851 Posts
No thanks! I have handled the junk that Remington and Winchester are putting out these days. Pretty sad. The quality and the craftsmanship just isn't what it used to be. Seems like some of them work while others are nothing but trouble.

I would suggest the Browning A5. Fit and finish is superb. Very reliable.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I would definitely take an SX3 over a browning A5. The aesthetics of the A5 are a huge draw back. As for the functionality I don't have much experience with one but I have yet to find a shell an SX3 won't eat.

·
Banned
851 Posts
I feel as many others do that the classic, iconic look of the a5 is beautiful. The drop off at the end of the receiver lets you know that the beads will be sitting right where they should be when you are ready to touch one off. No other auto comes close to feel of the a5 for me. No moving your head or any of that crap, she's already right there when you throw it up. Browning made the already great original a5 even better. Kind of says something about all the companies coming up with new designs of autos every couple of years and browning still using a design from 1902!

As far as I'm concerned the a5 is the best waterfowl gun on the market today and probably always will be.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
I have the sportsman version. I've had it jam several times on low brass and high brass 2 3/4" loads. I'm not impressed.

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
See post above, not even sure why they got into that "cheaper" gun market, the sportsmans, either the 11-87 sportsman, or versa max sportsman, are just what they advertise, cheaper gun, nothing but problems.

The other larger companies at least cover it up a bit and don't put their actual name on the cheaper gun. Stoeger is basically a cheaper Benelli, Franchi is a cheaper version of Beretta(I think that's correct), etc. Remington puts their main name on the cheap stuff, not sure why......

I have 2 11-87 "special purpose", and a Versa max, that are NOT the sportsman version, which also comes with a much higher price tag, and have had zero problems other than normal wear on any of them.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
I won this Versa max in a turkey hunting competition so I had to take what was offered. Had I known it was going to perform like it does I would have immediately tried to trade it in on the original Versamax. My gunsmith said to just run as many 3 and 3.5" shells through it as I can stand and eventually the part that's hanging up will wear down to the point it will work as it was advertised.

·
Banned
851 Posts
Dmccoy, Beretta holding company actually owns, Benelli, Franchi, Stoeger, Uberti, Sako, and possibly a few others. All the different guns are made in different factories and at one time we're all independent companies. Beretta just bought them out but they still produce under their own name. So it really wouldn't be fair to say that a Stoeger is a cheaper Benelli, or a Franchi is a cheaper Beretta. That would be like comparing Chevy to a Buick. Both are owned by GM.

The reason Remington and Winchester are making and selling junk is because they have to. They have to compete in the low end market with stuff like Mossberg, whoops!, and H&R , and the middle class stuff like Stoeger, and Franchi, and CZ, and then on the high end with stuff like Beretta, Benelli, and Browning. They want to cover all parts of the market. And if you ask me, you can't do that. It seems like all the companies that do that start getting junkier and junkier.

IMO if you have to question if a shotgun or any gun for that matter is reliable, then you shouldn't even be considering it. If you want the absolute best, and you are willing to pay for it, why not get a proven performer. You shouldn't have to worry about the reliability of a shotgun when you are looking to buy one. You look at stuff like the durability of the finish, the ease of takedown , and the most important how well the gun fits you. If the gun doesn't fit you then it doesn't matter how good it is you are not going to be able the hit a thing.

Besides from being classic, I like the a5 because it fits me well. They always have fit me well. I throw it up and the beads are a perfect figure 8 every time. Maybe they don't fit everybody, and that's fine, but Ik they fit my dad, brother and I well.

My bottom line is know your price range and choose a few proven reliable performer and then go handle them all before picking one.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
I to bought the A5 2 seasons ago. mostly due to the feel and 100,000 round or 5 yr guarentee. My SBE2 was a lemon. $1500 gun, stinks but thankfully they are aesthetically popular and was easy to sell. I used it hard and tried everything.A5 after multiple cases has been real good.

Versamax, like someone said buy the expensive model. The cheap version has had issues.

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
I didn't see anyone call the SX2 or 3 junk? I have one buddy who wouldn't give it up for anything, and he shoots it well, another has the new A5, and he loves it as well. Me personally was very happy when the versa came out, as all I have ever shot have been remingtons, that what fits me, and that what I shoot well. I had a Extrema as well, thing was beautiful, felt great, worked flawless, but I couldn't hit anything with it.....It wasn't the gun, it was me i'm sure. Gotta have confidence in your gun, fit and comfort go a long way when picking out a gun. first had a 870, then a couple 11-87's, versa max had to be my next gun, and it works for me.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.