The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
I just bought one in NW Ohio. they will be ready on jan 4. what are you looking for bloodline wise and what do you want to spend?

you can pm me if you like.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well to be honest, I'm pretty new to rabbit dogs. Historically, I've been a bird dog guy. I own two of those right now. When it comes to beagle bloodlines, I know very little. I've been looking at the Dingus Macrae lines and yellow creek lines. But I have no real bias to any specific lines only because I don't know enough. Any education you can give me here is appreciated. I'd like a medium/medium fast paced dog. I'm not a trialer, I just like to hunt. In an ideal scenario, I would like a dog that can run a rabbit solo. I'll probably end up with two beagles. I've learned from bird dogs, that the price of the pup is not really an issue. I won't pay $2,000 for a beagle. I think 200-600 is a fair price for a pup and 600-800 a fair price for a started dog based on various factors. I don't want to get ripped off, but the initial purchase price isn't a huge thing for me. I'd rather do my best to get a good dog and I'm ok if that means paying for it.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
You should come down to Ohio River's field trial in a couple weeks (the 19th and 20th) You'll get to see a lot of different dogs run and meet a ton of guys with the same interests. You'll probably learn a lot about beagles as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts