The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would you do? A farmer gave me permission to hunt his land. He threw everyone else (including myself) off a couple years ago after some jerk drove all over his fields in a truck. I get back on and I'm the only one hunting there. He gets red tags and calls me asking if I would come out and hunt.

I'm not much for shootin them so late in the year but don't wanna upset the farmer either. I feel obligated to help him out due to him giving me permission so I'm gonna hunt. (actually went out for 3 hrs. today and saw 9, no shots)

I guess I'm trying to justify this to myself so did I make the right decision?

·
Registered
9,480 Posts
I too am a farmer and thought about this hunt but declined to enter the program cause I didn,t want to be overrun with strangers.I too would be p/off if someone drove over my farm.If it was me I would earn his trust again cause these deer are killin us and need culled.Just don,t bring the other yahoos along.Just my .02.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Is the red tag program advertised to the public, or do you have to know someone who applies for the program? Not trying to hijack the thread, just interested.

Just my $.02, I would take him up on the offer to return tot he farm.

·
Banned
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think the properties are posted publicly through the PAGC.

As for the other "yahoos"....I was not even there when some guy did that.( Wish I would have caught him myself) The farmer borders public lands and always allowed hunters. I'm pretty particular who I hunt with and take with me. Especially when it's somewhere that I have gotten permission at.

·
Banned
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A friend of mine had that problem. He red tagged his place and the next thing he knew there were lots of "outlaws" showing up at his door. That ended that. I can understand why guys don't do it.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
I don't understand?? You want the red tags, but you don't want anyone to show up to use them? Why do you call them outlaws? I hunt a couple red tag farms. They get some deer removed and I get to hunt. Sounds like a good situation to me?

I respect the land as if it were my own and try to leave it better than I found it. I guess others are not so curtious?

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I am pretty sure that if he is on the red tag plan he can't restrict people from hunting.

·
Banned
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Of the Hunters that showed up that year for him, let's say none were of the quality of character that he wanted around his home, family and property. THOSE were the "outlaws". I'm sure you can appreciate that there are good and bad guys out there and we all would like it if only the good guys showed up at your door.

It's that group that ruin it for the responsible , respectful sportsmen like yourself.

·
Banned
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I believe you are right....that's why he quit after the first year.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Jester said:
What would you do? A farmer gave me permission to hunt his land. He threw everyone else (including myself) off a couple years ago after some jerk drove all over his fields in a truck. I get back on and I'm the only one hunting there. He gets red tags and calls me asking if I would come out and hunt.

I'm not much for shootin them so late in the year but don't wanna upset the farmer either. I feel obligated to help him out due to him giving me permission so I'm gonna hunt. (actually went out for 3 hrs. today and saw 9, no shots)

I guess I'm trying to justify this to myself so did I make the right decision?
I think you should hunt them, that the farmer called you up means he trusts you. It is hurting the farmer financially having deer eating his crops so getting ride of some of his deer is saving him money.

I hunted a red tag farm for a few years before the farmer suddenly quit. I would do most of my hunting late September and I liked how it was so peaceful sitting there on a knoll in a field watching bucks feeding on the soybeans without them caring about me because they had no hunting pressure. Probably so of the more enjoyable hunting I have had. My first deer was a red tag doe.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
I vote "go ahead and help him out". A friend of mine hunts a farm where he is on very good terms with the owner, the farm is not posted, and a number of people have permission to hunt there. Over the years, the farmer has repeatedly told him to "shoot 'em all!", but my friend and his family don't like to shoot does, so they continued to buck hunt. A couple of years back, the farmer finally red-tagged his property. Of course, my friend was disappointed, but I don't see how the blame can go on anyone but himself.

Sorry for the rabbit trail, but to me it just illustrates that when we are given permission to use someone else's property, we need to comply with their requests, to the extent that it is legal to do so. If we don't, we have only ourselves to blame when the landowner chooses to ask someone else to help him.

Go hunt and enjoy it! You are helping to ensure that future hunters are welcomed on that property.

·
Registered
9,480 Posts
My neighbor did it the first year they had it and never did it again.The hunters strayed off of his farm and was goin on ajoining farms.People kept stoppin at our place thinkin it was the red tagged place.Some were good and polite and some shouldn,t be allowed in possesion of a firearm.They posted the farms somewhere and we were gettin people from all over.It is extremely dangerous cause most of the people don,t scout around before hand and no the layout of the land and where houses,barns,and livestoch are.You couldn,t pay me a small fortune to do it.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
He can limit the number of hunters,the types of weapons you can use,and areas on the farm where you can hunt.
If he does not like the looks of a hunter,he can say"I am filled up today".
It is like the co-op farms,you have to check in before you go hunting.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
springfreak said:
anyone have a link to listing of red tag farms, I could not find a list on game comm site
You send a SASE to the regional office asking for the list of red tag properties and they will send it to you.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
hankster said:
I am pretty sure that if he is on the red tag plan he can't restrict people from hunting.
He absolutely can.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Netboy said:
Sad to hear it. I believe they can allow or deny anyone access that they wish. The red tag program does not open their land to just anyone. You still need permission.

It's a shame that a few mess up things for everyone.
You also need the tag from the farmer. If he doesn't give you the tag, you are hunting illegally.

If not mistaken and they may have changed this, you were allowed 1 or 2 tags per person, no more.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts