The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have one that I would like to put up. It's got a lot of white and looks really neat. Tips on putting up would be appreciated. Fur-in, fur-out, etc.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
take it easy around the butt, get the ammo box out and there easy.i use a fox board on mine.fur in.

·
Registered
626 Posts
put up just like coon. ive done 2 with one looking just like that pic. ALL white on the back with just two small strips of black on the belly. gunna get him tanned hopefully. the pelt looks beautiful. word of advice, when pulling the tail, watch where you put pressure. to much pressure on either of those two "ammo boxes" or scent glands on either side of the vent and POP the room you tried skinning in will stink for a month. (It has been a month since i did that very thing and it still stinks so it may be longer than a month total im still waiting XD)

·
Registered
431 Posts
Take some rope and skin them out in the field, keep the stink out of the shed in case you poke the scent glands.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I trapped a skunk once, how do you dispatch it in a way that it won't spray you? I stunk pretty bad. PM me if necessary.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Ive only done 3. 1 lung shot no spray 2 headshots both sprayed id say shoot through lungs and let em lay for an hour or two before you come back and take em.

·
Registered
749 Posts
i skun 2 of those all white backed stinkers 2 years ago and sold them for $100 a piece on taxidermy site..but you have to skin them for taxidermy market not the fur market..

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
the one I got this year is all black but a star on his forehead.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll be putting up skunk number 2 this evening. Caught another in the same set as the first one. Looks like it's brother. lot's of white.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Buzz, I'm curious...if they do not spray; I found they do not stink too bad in the field; but what's the consensus of when they're skinned and put up? Super stink?

The one I terminated today (Head shot) sprayed a little. That's enough to gag a maggot. I wanted to pull the trap; I had to let them lay. Bagged the critter and dropped him off to be tanned.

·
Registered
626 Posts
on a 1 to 10, 10 being super stink id rate it at 2 IF they never spray. now the one where i popped a gland the shed STILL stinks id rate that around a 6 or 7. total IMO here. there are recipes on youtube for a bath. you wash the ENTIRE skunk before skinning and its suppose to take away the worst of it and it worked for me. Dish soap, hydrogen peroxide and baking soda.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am no expert on these critters, but I don't think the smell is too bad once skinned. I've managed to put up two of them without hitting the glands. However, both of them sprayed when dispatched. Number three will be going up tonight. I never caught one before this season. I am certainly not targeting them and would much prefer reds, but I don't want to waste them either.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts