The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone plant a few rows of corn, or something else high profile around their clover, brassicas or other low profile crops?

I have read where it puts the deer more at ease in there, plus gives them that edge of vegetation height they like.

All my plots are backyard size, but I am thinking of doing this in one or two of the bigger ones.

Can you plant corn (in example) via broadcasting and then harrowing in?

·
Registered
913 Posts
yes sir i do , in the two plots i got that are not in a wooded area , i have about 15 to 20 rows of corn on the side , and on the other plot i have a wind row i made, pretty much just a elonggated row od brush, it really really really helps them , before i had nothing there and the annuals i planted were not getting used as much , since i did this lets just say the perrenials are pounded year round!

i got a tractor this year but before i did i was crazy enough to hand plant the corn, ran a pic down the edges and threw the corn in the fresh dirt then walked back and covered them up , made them fairly close together, corn was eaten in no time but the cover was priceless

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Can you plant corn (in example) via broadcasting and then harrowing in?
It sure can! I just forget how many lbs per acre of seed you use. Thinking it shouldn't be over 20 lbs per acre. Does need lots of nitrogen fertilizer tho.

·
Registered
13,493 Posts
I think in that link Dutch has at the top they show planting brassicas mixed in with corn. Maybe I read it somewhere else, not sure. I was going to try that last fall but just took all the sweetcorn stalks out.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Sowing soybeans in with corn is a dynamite food plot.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
CJBS2003 said:
20-40 pounds per acre for corn when broadcast...
You are probably right. I am thinking when corn and beans are mixed and broadcast, the corn shouldn't go over 20 lbs per acre. There was someone on here a while back that made his own corn/soybean mix. Thinking he was at 15 lbs per acre of corn, not sure.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just break an acre if I combine all my plots...sounds like I need about .5 pounds of corn to border the two bigger ones.

My BIL is a dairy farmer and plants hundreds of acres of corn, I bet if I scooped up enough to fill my pockets with the spilled seed piles that are at the loading zone I'd be covered.

·
Registered
389 Posts
You might want to try forage sorghum. A small amount of corn will be eaten to the ground and you will have a dead area around the perimeter of your plot. The sorghum will give you the screening cover you want, will be easier to plant, and shouldn't get browsed to ground level. JMO.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Lespedza makes an excellent food plot border... Won't do so well in the northern part of the state but will do just fine in the southern end. Deer will browse it, turkeys will go nuts over the seeds as will any pheasants or quail in the area.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Rooster, have you considered just doing a border cut around your plots?

Just drop all the trees maybe 30-50 ft or so off the edges and allow it to grow up. Wouldn't that give the same result and also allow more sunlight onto the plots? Plus, lots of winter browse?

Every 5-10 years, go back in and drop everything again and keep it thick.

Would be great for grouse as well.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I agree with Dutch, remembering the pictures of your food plots, cutting the perimeter of your plots would be more beneficial.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
SFrenz said:
I agree with Dutch, remembering the pictures of your food plots, cutting the perimeter of your plots would be more beneficial.
Yeah, and he needs a good reason to get out over the winter to cure his cabin fever!

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did that up at the camp plot..on the southern side and you know what the deer always seems to come in from that direction. i also did that hinge cut by the Orchard plot and Dogbone last winter (was on here, although those did not seem to be as effective.

Trust me, I'll be out there with the saw when the cabin fever rolls in.

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
Went up on my hill Sunday 1-10, to cut some firewood, then do some browse cutting. Got off the Quad with an MS 361 Stihl in tow. Well after struggling with a heavy saw and snow to the top of my boots, I got 2 nice Cherry (severely blemished) and a Locust on the ground and bucked up. Problem was, I was beat. The browse cutting will have to wait till this weekend.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts