The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My family has done this for years and I’m looking for a way to change it up some on my next batch. We cook(boil) the meat and cut. Layer it in jars with a onion slice every once in a while then fill the jar with vinegar and some salt ant pepper. Pretty basic but very good. I like to try and add some flavor or maybe heat to it. Any ideas? Anyone do it different?

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Pop a couple of hot peppers in it.

·
Banned
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pop a couple of hot peppers in it.
ya I thought of that and maybe even some garlic. I was kinda hoping someone here did it that way for some guidance. I make mine in pint jars cause the wife and kids don’t like it so I may try a few things and see what happens

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Haha !!! Nope.

They don't last long enough around here to make it into the pickling jar...………….. My mom will toss 3 or so in the pressure cooker on a weekend. Pull em out, slice em in about 1/4"-3/8" slices...………..salt & pepper em warm and...…….. :music:

Mighty fine snappin' !!!

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Like W W said, pop a few dried cayenne peppers and a couple cloves of garlic in there... or a tsp of sriracha.
Tried adding jalapenos, didn't transfer as much flavor as I'd hoped.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
I have always wanted to try it. Everyone i talk to love it. If i get one or 2 this year i am hoping to pickle a heart and give it a try. they way everyone talks i wont be dissappointed.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I use cider vinegar, pickling spice, garlic, black and red pepper and a bit of salt. Pickled deer heart is 1 of my favorites

·
Banned
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. I looked up a lot or recipes online and most are similar. If I can get enough hearts I’m gonna try a few different ones. If not maybe I’ll go buy a beef heart to experiment.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
I use cider vinegar, pickling spice, garlic, black and red pepper and a bit of salt. Pickled deer heart is 1 of my favorites

This sounds very much like the recipe I got off of the internet.
I have four deer hearts soaking and haven't tried it yet, but maybe today is the day to do so.

Reactions: TEC

·
Banned
437 Posts
My Dad's Recipe

I have a simple recipe from my Dad & I have always looked forward to venison deer heart.

Try it, you'll like it. :smile2:

1. deer heart
2. Cider vinegar
3. cooking onions
4. pickling spices
5. salt

Slice heart in half but not completely through (top to bottom).
Clean veins and fat.
Boil whole for 1-1 ½ hours
Add water to cover plus a little salt
Skim as boiling
Remove from water and let cool before slicing in pieces

Pack in either pint or quart glass jars
Qt – 1 ½ tsps. Pickling spices
Pt – ¾ tsp pickling spices
Also put in raw onion rings

Brine solution (quart batch)
2 ¼ c water
1 c cider vinegar
3 tbsp salt
Boil for 4-5 minutes then pour boiling brine over cold pack (heart, spice, onion)
Place jars in warm water to prevent cracking
Pint – usually takes – ¾ c brine
Quart – usually takes – 1 ½ c brine
Cap immediately and let stand at room temp until cool.
Store in cool place for 3-6 weeks

If seal not broken, refrigeration not necessary.

·
Banned
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a simple recipe from my Dad & I have always looked forward to venison deer heart.

Try it, you'll like it.

1. deer heart
2. Cider vinegar
3. cooking onions
4. pickling spices
5. salt

Slice heart in half but not completely through (top to bottom).
Clean veins and fat.
Boil whole for 1-1 ½ hours
Add water to cover plus a little salt
Skim as boiling
Remove from water and let cool before slicing in pieces

Pack in either pint or quart glass jars
Qt – 1 ½ tsps. Pickling spices
Pt – ¾ tsp pickling spices
Also put in raw onion rings

Brine solution (quart batch)
2 ¼ c water
1 c cider vinegar
3 tbsp salt
Boil for 4-5 minutes then pour boiling brine over cold pack (heart, spice, onion)
Place jars in warm water to prevent cracking
Pint – usually takes – ¾ c brine
Quart – usually takes – 1 ½ c brine
Cap immediately and let stand at room temp until cool.
Store in cool place for 3-6 weeks

If seal not broken, refrigeration not necessary.
on thing I noticed about your recipe and the similar ones online compared to my old family one is our way there is no heat or sealing of jars. It is literally just vinegar and some salt and put a lid on. It never lasts long but I always worried about shelf life. I think this year I’ll buck tradition and try a new method

·
Registered
461 Posts
just done up a batch of beef hearts and tongues, for the cabin, till we get some venison hearts. just get yourself some bar balonga jugs of juice, great for pickling them.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Pickled Deer Heart

This recipe was published on this site several years ago and I reposted it to various negative comments that it was too salty. I did not formulate the recipe_am just forwarding it.

Pickled Venison Heart

Ingredients:

1 head of garlic
2 small onions
1 sliced heart (preboiled until tender)
3 cups vinegar (apple cider)
1 cup water
1 heaping tablespoon of pickling spice
1/3 cup salt (preferably canning/pickling salt)
1 heaping tablespoon or teaspoon(depending on taste) Lowreys Seasoned Salt

Directions:
Bring vinegar, water, pickling spice, salt, and seasoned salt to boil. Let boil for a minute or two. Place sliced onion pieces, garlic pieces and heart slices in bowl using alternate layering. Pour liquid mixture over heart, onion, and garlic and put a plate in bowl with something on top to weight it down to hold all contents in solution. Leave out overnight. Place in fridge next day, remove plate and weight, but cover with lid. Enjoy.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
My father always pickled the hearts and tongues from our deer. I was shocked that the cabin I hunted at this year threw out all the hearts and tongues from the 7 bucks that were shot the 1st week? Noone wanted to mess with them?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts