The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
5,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife wanted me to check on one for her 23 year old son for xmas. I told her im pretty good on 700's dont know squat on the ar's. Got real educated today went to a real nice pawn shop we have the gun shp side probably around 300 guns. Hand guns, shotguns, rifles, and the ar's. I got asking about them and they actually sold 9 of them today. Now im talking my area is small town USA wouldnt of thought there would be 9 of any guns sold in entire county all week. Went to another shop little smaller he was cleaned out. He is getting in 2 smith and wessons and 7 other brand friday and says his dist. is wiped out. So low and behold i put a deposit on the S&W for my self then another guy walks in and does the other one he has coming in. They say they are fun to shoot guess i will find out. Never thought i would ever get one but thought i would jump on the band wagon too. Any one know anything about the Smith and Wesson Ar 15 Mp?

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
AR's are like erector sets, every part of them is replaceable and you can configure it any way you like. The only part you actually need an FFL for is the lower receiver. That's why there are so many AR15 makers out there, you can assemble guns from parts really easy. Don't worry you got a good one.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
i bought a s&w m&p 15-22 last year. basically an AR15 that shoots 22's. it is one of the most fun guns i have ever shot and is cheap to shoot. it breaks down like a centerfire AR and is easy to clean, and you can buy all the fullsize doo-dads for it. good first step into the black rifle area. for the price of 100 223's i can shoot 500 22's.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
There's not many AR brands out there that the average plinker needs to worry about. Most have pretty good reputations. There's always those that swear brand A is better than B, but like other's said, they're modular and almost always, all parts interchange (except for some Colts due to "pin size"). Your S&W will serve you well.

·
Banned
16,019 Posts
I have a Colt LE 6920. Absolute fun to shoot and I have had no problems with it thus far. They are simple to use, easy to break down and clean, and you can virtually do anything with them.

The Smith and Wesson's are a great gun and you won't be disappointed.

I had planned on buying one or two more, just hadn't decided on what make yet.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I saw a stripped bushmaster lower for $1000 on clist. One online retailer is selling mags for $60. Gander mountain had a line and you had to take a number. Someone is getting rich or trying.

·
Registered
638 Posts
i also bought an s&w ar15 off buds gunshop a few days ago. like you i have never owned one before, but i thought i may never get the chance to if i dident snag one up fast. i'm glad i did cause you cant' find them anywhere now.

·
Premium Member
4,388 Posts
<span style="font-weight: bold"> My bride wanted one for CHRISTmas.....Glad I bought it before the shootings in CONN....S & W AR15...

I went to get ammo for it at my local gunshop...The people were piled in there like cordwood trying to buy the last couple AR's, they had in stock...</span>

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Years ago I decided I should have one....bought a Les Baer. The two 100 yard factory 5 shot targets were less than .25", using Federal 77 gr. Match ammo....haven't regretted buying it....

Bought a dozen H&K 20 round magazines shortly after I got the rifle....arguably the best made....try to find one now!

Also bought 4,400 rounds of British Radway from Widener's @ $130/1100, delivered back then....

Did something right for a change....

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Called gun broker online...sold out and distributers empty. Called gander mountain....sold out, none coming in. Called Hake's....sold out. Called backwoods outfitters.....sold out. Called Kinseys...DING DING DING they had 15 left yesterday morning and a new shipment of 100 30rd clips. Got there yesterday at 4:45 and only THREE were left. I quickly snagged one and 5 clips at 20 bucks a pop. Looking at e-bay now I should have bought every clip they had as they all seem to be going for 60 bucks a piece!!

·
Super Moderator
8,063 Posts
Midway accepts backorders....for whatever good that does, but it's hope at least. They'd only let me backorder 2, but that's 2 more than I could get anywhere else!

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
i will wait until the knee jerks need mortgage money and buy theirs for 75 cents on the dollar. worked for generators and snowblowers too.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Just bought a Windham Weaponry Ar-15 myself. They are getting super hard to find. We bought the last three in the area.

Mags are about as rare

Ammo is getting scarce too.

I thought I may wait as well, and not have that knee jerk reaction, but you may not have much longer to do it. Get them while you can.

·
Registered
244 Posts
No one in our area has any AK s or AR s. Sold out. Just came back from the local gun shop you would have thought they were giving them away free. Packed Looked at an AK last night should have bought it went back today it was gone

·
Registered
18,599 Posts
I never had an interest in a rifle I couldn't hunt with to be honest. I'm not much of a "plinker".
All these AR platform weapons are flying off the shelves in my area as well. Everybody is so worried about the gov banning them. I don't think people realize legislation like that doesn't happen overnight. JMO.

·
Registered
109 Posts
While at the gun shop on Wednesday evening, 12/19, I couldn't help myself and bought a Sig Sauer 556 patrol rifle. Got a great deal on it, which was the last one.

I waited almost two hours due to the heavy volume for the PICS back ground check system, which we were told went down. People lined up buying any AR's the dealer had.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts