The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I poured about 50 lead balls yesterday. I did it to show the grandkids how our forefathers used to make thier own projectiles. I haven't made my own in a long while as I am still working down the 800 or so rounds I bought on sale at Wal-Mart several years ago. I used to make my own balls quite often, but haven't since that large purchase. I shoot less than 100 rounds a year out of the flintlock, so I am good to go for a while yet before I run out. Anyway, do you make your own roundballs or conicals?

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
Made lead sinkers as a kid with my grandfather. Still have a block here at the house that was his. Never did that tho. Thanks for the smile. Good memory!

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I make my own .530 rb's. It is good if you have a good supply of pure lead and if you shoot a lot. I think I seen 100 .530 Rb's at Bass Pro and it was $17

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
yep i cast my own round balls and some 360 lee minie balls. I shoot into 5 gallon sand buckets and recover my lead and store it in empty powder cans. When i run low i just melt it down and start casting.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Cast .440`s,.490s and ,530`s. Use mostly Lee moulds. Not sure if they are as accurate as store bought but good enough for the way I shoot!!!!

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
I have a RB mold for a 50 cal my dad gave me. Never use it though. I still have a couple dozen he made that I use for practice. I never cared for having to remember to keep the spur on top.

I do cast bullets for my 357 and I did for the 44 I had. Dirt cheap to practice with home made bullets if you can get the right lead. Pure lead only for RB's. I got lucky here a little while back, and a friend of mine gave me a 25# bar of lynotype that I cast pistol bullets with.

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
brewyak said:
I make my own .530 rb's. It is good if you have a good supply of pure lead and if you shoot a lot. I think I seen 100 .530 Rb's at Bass Pro and it was $17
Wow, that's expensive. I paid $3.50 a box for the ones I found at Wal_mart when I bought them. This was after Xmas the one year and they were marked down to get rid of them. They had like ten boxes left and I bought them all. Couldn't pass that up.

Yeah pure lead is getting harder to come by, but I still go by the rule if you can easily scratch it with your fingernail, its good enough for round balls. Some of the big salt water type fishing sinkers are still made of pure enough lead to use. Buy a few of the big 4 and 5 ozers and you can make a nice little bevy of ammo. I lucked out years ago and found a local plumbing supply who still had some old pig lead lying around. Plumbers used ot use it for sweating sewer pipes back before all the EPA laws went into effect. I went in one day to buy some PVC for my sink and just asked the guy while waiting at the counter if they had any. He says "let me check", then comes back a few minutes later with 4 big round ingots about ten lbs apiece. I said "how much?" He said "$5 each". I bought it all, and still have three of them.........I doubt I'd be able to find any more lead that way though.

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
I don't shoot as often as I did but I still have all my molds and cast as needed. I have from .395 rb and conicals to .530 rb. & maxi's. I shoot mostly .440's myself.

I still have some lead pipe and some scrap lead from the refiner's. First cast is always outdoors to clean up the scrap, some can be pretty nasty.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
well if you ever need any more lead just let me know. I have a lot of it mostly in 30-40 pound bricks

·
Registered
74 Posts
I work in a hospital and get all my lead from there. Good stuff too.

·
Registered
12,138 Posts
350, 440, 445, 490, 530, 570, 610 Rb's and Minnie balles for 45, 50 and 58 cals. Also mold my own cartridge bullets from 257 up to 589 bullets for the Snider and 58 Berdan. Even have a 12 ga slug mold around somewhere.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I shoot the muzzleloaders competition and make all my own, usually burn over 1000lbs a year of pure lead, got a few scars to prove it (ha ha). not too difficult with the new inventions of today.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Just something about killing a deer when you know you poured the lead,made the lube,and cut the patch.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I mold round balls for my 60 caliber flinter just because they're hard to find and get good soft lead from a plumber buddy. The balls I make are.590 diameter but I'd like to get my hands on some .586's so I could use heavier patch material.

·
Registered
889 Posts
That lead from the hospital is some good stuff. Probably as close to pure lead as you are going to get. And alot of MZ guys would like to get their hands on some of that.

I cast some round balls. But I mostly shoot conicals in my MZ, and bullets that I cast in my rifles. I like shooting the big bullets. And they are expensive if you do not cast them your self. Tom.

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow man that is one fine setup you have there. What kind of ventilation do you use? That is one huge pile of wheel weights. Sad that their no good for casting round balls. I used to get them from a mechanic friend (deceased now sadly) when I used to mould my own fishing sinkers.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I always use WW for round balls. I have never been able to tell any difference what so ever between pure lead and WW when shooting round balls. Pure lead is a little better when shooting conicals. But that is only if you do not have a proper sizer, and a good lube. With a proper sizer, and knowing your bore, and a good lube then WW will also work fine for conicals. But if you do not size your bullets then you should stay with pure lead. It is a bit softer and will load a little easier. But as I said if you size your WW properly then WW will work just fine.

As far as ventilation is concerned. I have a man door just to the left of the picture. I do not like for a fan to blow across my lead pots. So I have a large fan just to the left and the fan draws the air off the pots, and blows it out the man door. This way I do not have any direct air currents over the pot. I prefer that to having a fan blowing on me when I am close to the pot. Kind of like a hood in a kitchen. Tom.

·
Registered
889 Posts
bergerjohn said:
Lead poisoning annyone?

How do you know get expossed to lead dust?
Honestly I do not think there is any such thing as "lead dust". I know that "lead fumes" is a myth. Lead does not "fume". The smell you get is from the impurities that you flux out, and the actual flux itself.

If you melt pure clean lead you get no fumes, no smoke, and no dust. You only get the fumes and smoke from the flux.

I use a fan to dispose of the fumes from the impurities because I do alot of casting with dirty WW.

The only part of lead poisoning I worry about is touch. So I always wear gloves. And I do not drink or eat anything while I am casting. Then the first thing I do when I am done is a heavy hand wash, then take a shower. That process will take care of any possible lead poisoning, just wash your clothes separately-I drop them in the washer when I get in the shower. Tom.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts