The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a White's XLT. I'm looking for someone with more experience to show me the ins and outs of detecting. I've had it for a few years. I've been looking for the legendary mason jars of coins supposedly left by the Old PA warlock, pa dutch faith healer at my dad's land. No luck oldest thing I have found is a 1919 wheat penny.

Where do you look? How do you get permission, etc.? Probably sameway you get permission to hunt private property ask.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hey Bob,

I do some metal detecting, just leisurely. the oldest thing I found is a corroded horseshoe. I think the whole treasure hunting thing is fun, even if people think it's dorky. I use a White's metal detector, but I'm sorry to say that I have as much knowledge about the subject as you seem to have. You may already be aware, but there is an author named Paul Henson (I think that's his name)who wrote a book called "Guide to Treasure Hunting in Pennsylvania" (or a similar name). I can't find the book right now if you didn't notice. Anyway, it is composed of a ton of listings for supposed treasure in the state, by county. Fun at least to imagine. Perhaps he also has an article or book more focused on the questions you're asking. I hope you find what you're looking for.

Deliveryman

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
Hi Bob,

My uncle is completely amazing when it comes to metal detecting. When they drained Sweet Arrow Lake in Pine Grove, he was featured in our local newspaper because he found over 150 rings, tons of lures, some old slot machines and all sorts of other treasures. Over the years he has found dozens of class rings and then found their original owners through lots of research. What I have learned from him over the years is to look for areas where there used to be structures and detect around them. He buys up all the old books from nearby towns that show old house locations and structures. He knocks on doors and makes calls and occasionally gets lucky with access to detect. Most people have no issue with it, but some do. There are treasure hunting guides that you can buy, but like he says, everyone has already gotten them and the areas have been detected over and over. Obviously as technology gets better, those areas again become prosperous. He has some real stories and finds! He has been featured in Treasure Hunter magazine a few times as well. I know he doesn't travel far from home (Joliett) but I will email him and see if he would be willing to give you a few pointers.

D

·
Registered
553 Posts
We use them at the high school where I work in Philadelphia. Sorry, I couldn't resist! Good luck with your post.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Red Dogz,detecting is an awesome and addicting hobby!!!I also use a Whites XLT.Do you use headphones?..if not giv'em a try,they defntly help ALOT!!Setting your ground balance is very important,especially in trashy or highly mineralized areas.The AC sensitivity is critical as well.Not sure how familiar you are with your machine,if I'm giving you info.you already know,I apologize.If you have any ?'s shoot me a PM.
As far as where to hunt,talk to some old-timers around,most are willing to tell you where the "old School-house" was,old swimming holes are always good to.Any old farms are usually great producers especially if you can find where the outhouse or the clothesline was.Old carnival or fairgrounds are another great place to check out.
Happy Huntin'
Fordman

·
Administrator
28,383 Posts
Red Dogz,

Random Thoughts
Dont be in too much of a hurry to write off the spots that everybody knows about and have hunted. I've found that those spots are usually passed over by the real pros who figure they're washed out and have nothing left to find. I hunted a little village park near my home a few years ago and scored really big on coins, jewelry, and artifacts.What was really funny was that every month our detecting club would meet in the library across the street and everybody would tell me not to waste my time. Every member thought it was already hunted out by other members.
I hunt using a grid. Whether it's just playing off my own tracks in the morning dew, or actually laying out and following sticks and string, I'm like a pitbull and dont miss a single foot of ground.
A carpenter's apron! They are made of cloth, have pockets, and they give them away at lumberyards.
Headphones let you hear a signal much better and they're much easier on battery power than a speaker.
The big tree behind the farmhouse used to have a swing hung from it. Things fall out of people's pockets when they swing. Also, when they're gardening.
Ever had everything in your pocket come out while you stood at your own front door and dragged out your keys? I'll bet you aint the only person that ever happened to.
You will not find gold doubloons in a schoolyard, but you will learn how to interpret what your machine is trying to tell you when it sees coins, pulltabs, gumwrappers, and even some jewelry.
I havent found a doubloon yet either, but maybe gold coins arent the only thing out there worth finding. I have found an unfired musketball dropped by a colonial soldier on his way to the battle of Oriskany, and from the same bivouac area I took home a brass button that had fallen from a militiaman's uniform.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
We do it but, they are my PIL's detectors and I don't know much about them. He sets them up and I go. But we have found some really nice things and reading some tips here, I can see why.

We will hit the lakes when they drop the water. Here they do them in like 4 year incriments. Also under bleachers, dirt parking lots or anywhere lots of people gather for events. ESPECIALLY if there is alcohol involved LOL!

We have found more gold rings than anything. My wife has like 4 rings on each of her fingers and most are from nice rings we have found. Finders Keepers LOL!

I did return one ring tho. I found it in a flower garden and it belonged to the man that lived there before my friend. It was his graduation ring from LA Tech during the 50's. He had lost it like 12 years before I found it. He gave me a big ol' hug!

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have'nt checked this thread in more than a week thanks for all of the good advice. I have some ideas where I am going to try and it looks like headphones are a must.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hey 4C,

Is your uncle Paul Henson or are you pointing to someone else? If he is the former, I looked into a treasure that was in his book and got a clue, yeah, possibly--probably worthless. I'd like to know what elese he knows about this certain one. Does he have any updates on the treasures in the PA book that was written? Thanks.

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
I found some cool .375 H & H Magnum shells over the weekend. They were about 5 inches deep and look like they've been there for a while.. They cleaned up nicely on my bench grinder though. That's way more rifle than you need in these parts!

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I found lots of shell casings at my uncles farm. You could tell where some one was popping them off years or decades ago. Found the ocassionall bullet too.

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
Reddogz, I've been finding tons of bullets too. A few of them were mushroomed (looks like they hit an animal) whereas some others were just dented. Found some .223 shells at a depth of about 5 inches. I couldn't believe they were that deep.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Man you guys make me want to get a good metal detector. We have a lot of ghost towns out here that I would love to check out..There is a really neat ghost town down by Dillon called Bannock..The miners were supposed to have hidden many bags/sacks of gold in and around the area because Henry Plummer and his murdering gang were killing every miner who attempted to leave with his gold.
Plummer would act like he was a friend of the miners and tell them when he thought it would be safe to sneak out of town. Of course then he would tell his gang and they would be waiting and murder them and steal their gold.

They finally hung this crook up in Virgina City, Montana and it was told he cried like a baby..
You guys should read some of the books about it,m they are really interesting.There is still one building standing you can look in the windows and still see the large beam where they hung 5 men at one time..
So what'ya say guys, what is the best metal detector for finding gold. Don't ya wanna help me get rich...

Leep:

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Heck I want to drop everything I'm doing clear my schedule for a month and meet you out there.

Last time I was in Montana was 95. My buddies had me fly out for a buddies fake wedding in Seatlle. I ended up being kidnapped and taken to Maggottfest (Rugby tournament)in Missoula for my bachelor party.

·
Registered
79 Posts
We lived in Missoula for 4 1/2 years while I was going to the Univ Of Montana..We moved here to Butte in 92.I really liked Missoula but since then it has ballooned in size ans has lost its small city charm..Plus most everyone who has moced rthere is/are from Washington and California and it has really changed that way too. Tree huggers, wildlife lovers...and radical conservationists. This from a guy who has a degree in both Wildlife and Forestry, but my schooling and training and work left me with a sense of reality concerning the forests, wildlife and the environment.. I don't really care for or even understand radicalism whatever form it takes.. Hope you liked our state while you were out here. (This from a guy who was born and raised in Central Penna..Lol, but Montana has been home since 1988)
You ever get out this way get in touch. I'd show you some of our ghost towns..

Leep:

·
Registered
227 Posts
Red Dogz and Leep,
I'm in as soon as I find this buried gold, and if you would have me along. Time and money are hard to come by coincidentally. I have never been to Montana and always wanted to go. I think it would be nice to go during elk season. A ghost towns, gold, and elk trip--I could do that. I've got to get to searching.

Leep, I always like reading treasure stories. Clive Cussler stuff is great, but the real stories are even better. Let me know some titles. And don't worry about it, most people believe psychoses should not be morphed into lifelong causes and organizations. Well, except for radicals.

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
Buddy of mine moved from PA to Montana in 1981 and never looked back. He started out washing dishes at a restaurant in Yellowstone just for some money, and eventually made his way to a lead chef. Believe the joint was called the Old Faithful Inn if that's familiar to y'all. He tried to get me out there for a while, and eventually gave up on me. Sometimes I wish........

·
Registered
79 Posts
If he's at the Old Faithful Inn he's at one of the most beautiful inns/hotels I ever saw. Maybe the one in East Glacier but I really like the Old Faithful one..You need to Google some pictures of it...
Finally getting some sunny, warm weather....

Just got the hitch put in my truck. Had to have the RV place put it in cause it's a 2008 Dodge and I had no idea how to install that one. Took it out of my old 1989 Ford before I got rid of it. Charged me 125$ for the "Dodge" kit..Two braces and some bolts and then 165 dollars for 2 hours to install it. After they said it would be 130$..
I said, "You people are really nice, and they are, but no one, in my opinion is worth 80$ an hour..That is just nuts."
But, I paid it and least now I can go camping again, and fly fishing at my Rock Creek....

I don't mind people from Pa coming out here cause they usually have their heads on straight and appreciate the beauty and wildness of Montana..
Take care, guys..
Leep:

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
Leep, I've wanted to go to Montana since I was a little kid. Do you have any suggestions on where to go since you live there? I enjoy fly fishing but I'm no professional at fly fishing yet.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts