The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Colonial Farms in SW PA is looking for a couple of guides for the upcoming 2019 -2020 season. I have been guiding hunts for 8 years and it's a great way to get some extra cash (for that SD trip) in your pocket and your dog on a lot of birds. Looking for someone to help guide Monday thru Friday hunts and someone to help guide weekend hunts.

Requirements...
- Your dog must be a pointing breed.
- Your dog must listen to you. Nothing worse than someone constantly screaming at their dog to get it to obey. Clients don't enjoy it either.
- Your dog must excel at finding birds. Clients don't like walking for an hour to try to find one bird.
- Your dog must hold point. Clients don't like it when the dog bumps the bird out of gun range.
- Your dog doesn't have to retrieve to hand but at a minimum should find the downed bird.
- Your dog must be in hunting shape. Clients don't like it when the dog lays down after an hour of hunting.
- You must be in shape to walk up and down hills for 3-4 hours. Clients don't mind stopping to rest when they are tired but they do mind having to stop so you can rest.
- You must be friendly and engage in conversation with the client.

You'll get $60 for a half day hunt and $100 for a full day hunt plus whatever tips the client gives you. The majority of the hunts you'll guide are half days (avg. 3 hours) and you can expect anywhere from $90 to $120 in your pocket for a half day hunt. The amount you are tipped by the client usually correlates to the clients satisfaction with the hunt. Client has a great hunt equals larger tip; client has a so-so hunt equals smaller tip. You get paid in cash at the end of each hunt.

If interested, please send me an email at [email protected].

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks everyone who has responded to this thread. We now have our team of guides set for the 2019-2020 season. Excited about the season kicking off in a little over a month from now. The fields are coming in nicely with sorghum, millet and switch grass. We pick up a load of 400 pheasants in 10 days. A load of chukars shortly after. Started running the pointers thru some training drills to reinforce and steady up some good habits. I know they are definitely ready for some live action.

Just an FYI for those of you who like to plan things in advance..... Colonial Farms will be holding a Chukar Challenge on Sunday, November 17th. I'll be posting more detail as we get closer to that date.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts