The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was thinking about getting into it, just for a little hobbie. I live here in Williamsport and am surrounding by creeks and the river. Just wanted to see if anyone here did this, or ever tried it before. I know the crawfish up here arent huge like they are in the south.

Im just doing this for something fun and maybe use for bass fishing. Anyone can help me out with any tips/info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Don

·
Premium Member
24,184 Posts
Anyone ever eat crawfish? They are pretty tasty, like shrimp.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
You use mostly meats as bait in the traps.Make sure you read the rules before you start but I believe the limit is 50 a day.Its better if you let it sit for a few days.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
they get in my minnie traps all the time. they seem to like bread for sure. i use them for bait sometimes but usually just the softshells or little wee ones. i lived in louisiana for years so eating crawfish holds no fascination for me. they are more work than they are worth, especially the size we have here in PA. but, if you are determined to try them, steam them with a little old bay seasoning. peel the tails and while you're doing that, throw some burgers on the grill cause to get full on crawdaddies takes a bunch and a lot of work.

·
Banned
313 Posts
Anyone that lives near raystown if you go below the breast there are thousands upon thousands it is unreal. We caught a bunch and took them home and cooked them up. Not very impressive I have had them in the south they were much bigger and better tasting then here.

·
Registered
44 Posts
We got pillow traps last year and caught enough for a meal. They were great. We used chubs and shiners for bait, but found out if you haven't enough bait in there they will eat one another. Well worth the effort.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys, anyone have a decent website to buy the traps froM? I saw some on amazon for a good price around $12 or so. Didnt know if anyone here had a reliable website to buy off of. I cant wait until spring now. Im gonna get me some crawfish haha

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I did a ton of crayfish research at PSU. Cabelas sales the traps. Do a google search for "crayfish Trap"

·
Registered
44 Posts
The place we got ours, and they are great to deal with, is The Fish Net Company LLC in Louisiana. They have a website.

Where can I find PA rules on catching crayfish? We looked at fish commission rule book and didn't find any regulations, did we miss it or are we looking in the wrong place?.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
•A fishing license is required of those 16 and older to
collect crayfish and other fishbait or baitfish. • No closed season or minimum size for crayfish.
Pennsylvania law allows a daily limit of 50 combined
fishbait species.
Crayfish Info

1 - 12 of 12 Posts