The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The idea of stealth camping to alot of people conjures up someone sneaking onto private property late at night, or while on a bicycle trip or something. I'm talking camping on property that you have permission or such that it isn't breaking any laws. We've camped in the woods down the street a couple times. We've got permission to do so, so its not a problem. I enjoy it, just wish my kids were more into it like they used to be. They're too into their girlfriends and staying out late with their friends these days so my next campout is going to be a solo one. I like taking just a minimal pack with enough gear and food to get me through one night. I don't have a winter sleeping bag or I'd try a snowy overnight. I'm waiting until the weather gets a little better , then I'm going to try a solo overnighter under a cheapo tarp........Wondering if anyone else does this.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
What makes it stealth camping? Stealth denotes being sneaky and not being seen or known to be where you are. Just asking.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
One man's stealth camping is another man's backpacking. FYI, you can camp like that practically anywhere on State Forest land.

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
While I don't "primitive camp" anymore, I did a lot of it until I was about 40. If you truly want to try winter camping, a winter bag is not necessary. If you build a lean-to shelter and build a fire along the front you will stay warm enough. This set up is warmer than a tent. Of course be sure to have a nights supply of wood ready to go. Be sure to have a good thickness of pine boughs or a pad (better yet both) to insulate you from the ground. This not only keeps you warm but keeps the ground beneath you turning into mud.

Hopefully the kids will come back around to it in a few years. They often do.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What makes it stealth camping? Stealth denotes being sneaky and not being seen or known to be where you are. Just asking.
Stealth by my definition is camping in a place not normally considered to be a camp ground, and yes in a spot not known by others. Even with permission, I don't relish the idea of someone knowing I may be there, as you never know what somebody may have in mind.

When we camped out in the woods down the road, even with permission, I always brought along one of my firearms. I always carry when in the woods. You just never know.

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
The idea of stealth camping to alot of people conjures up someone sneaking onto private property late at night, or while on a bicycle trip or something. I'm talking camping on property that you have permission or such that it isn't breaking any laws. We've camped in the woods down the street a couple times. We've got permission to do so, so its not a problem. I enjoy it, just wish my kids were more into it like they used to be. They're too into their girlfriends and staying out late with their friends these days so my next campout is going to be a solo one. I like taking just a minimal pack with enough gear and food to get me through one night. I don't have a winter sleeping bag or I'd try a snowy overnight. I'm waiting until the weather gets a little better , then I'm going to try a solo overnighter under a cheapo tarp........Wondering if anyone else does this.

Do you snore? It wont be stealth for long.....:smile_big:

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
We did that type of camping all summer long when we were teenagers . Thought about teaching my daughter how it's done comfortably , but then this tick infestation started and I lost interest real quick . I know Permethrin works well , but I just can't bear the thought of my daughter dealing with Lyme's the rest of her life . Just not worth the risk .

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We did that type of camping all summer long when we were teenagers . Thought about teaching my daughter how it's done comfortably , but then this tick infestation started and I lost interest real quick . I know Permethrin works well , but I just can't bear the thought of my daughter dealing with Lyme's the rest of her life . Just not worth the risk .
That's why you go before the ticks start getting active. Early spring is usually a little too cold for ticks, but not so cold that its uncomfortable to sleep out at night.

·
Registered
430 Posts
A lot of state forests have primitive camping areas that seem to never get hit. And by primitive I mean there's a couple flat spots with fire rings. These are great though maybe you wouldn't consider them "Stealth". They're often in the middle of nowhere and don't have facilities so it's still roughing it. I booked a site a couple of labor days ago when every campground in the Pine Creek valley was booked. Driving up the dirty road a ways we weren't actually sure what we were looking for in these campgrounds so we found a spot with a pull off and hiked down to the creek to set up camp "stealth" mode. After setting up we went for a short walk up the road and not two hundred yards from where we pulled off were these beautiful campsites under pine trees sitting right on a crick with a little fishing hole and rock wall. There were 3-5 sites right there and nobody using them, on Labor day weekend. I believe I found a gem there, so if you're looking for a place up north PM me and I can guide you to those sites.

·
Registered
12,055 Posts
Much of winter camping is just knowing how to stay warm. It doesn't require a massive amount of sleeping bag, blankets, etc. As mentioned a simple tarp with a fire before it can act as a heat reflector and keep a person quite comfortable, as long as the fire is burning at least a bit. It is somewhat similar to the way a tipi worked and some tribes withstood horribly cold winters in those. Where a tarp is just two dimensional, a Tipi is cone shaped and has a way for the air to circulate between the cover and the inner liner. I know folks who use four tarps in a rectangle. The top is open to allow smoke out, but the tarps stop the cold air that would normally draft along the ground from the outer perimeter.

·
Registered
957 Posts
The "stealth camping movement" is mostly vans, box trucks, and even camper back pickup. It's sleeping in Walmart's, Sheetz's, hotel parking lots, parks, cemeteries or even residential streets. Go to YouTube and put in stealth camping. Tons of videos. It's alot like the custom van thing of the 70's.

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
Ever see those Salt Life bumper stickers? I'm starting to think they should make a bumper sticker that says Hobo Life for all you "Stealth Campers" out there!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Is it legal to go on state forsest land and just set up a tent and camp for a night or two? Or do you need a permit to do this?

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Is it legal to go on state forest land and just set up a tent and camp for a night or two? Or do you need a permit to do this?
You can camp on SFL but a permit [free] is needed if you stay more than one night in one location.

Some of the spots in the Delaware SF have 'official' camp sites w/ fire ring and picnic table along a few of the unpaved roads too.

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
The "stealth camping movement" is mostly vans, box trucks, and even camper back pickup. It's sleeping in Walmart's, Sheetz's, hotel parking lots, parks, cemeteries or even residential streets. Go to YouTube and put in stealth camping. Tons of videos. It's alot like the custom van thing of the 70's.
I know this is an old post, by what the H.....

That sounds like homelessness to me. Like the "urban exploring" movement that is presently en vogue. That's when you break into shuttered urban buildings and "explore" and "camp".....smh

And of course post the entire thing on social media....

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Late 70's we would walk thru SGL to reach Blue Ridge Real Estate property upstream from Walters Dam to backpack to a spot on the Lehigh.

We were not the only ones doing so and we got warnings about being towed for parking by [not blocking] a SGL gate.

We started to come in from Rt 115 walking a pipeline to reach the river. We would hit a small stream near the river, deposit cold foods and walk to the top of the ridge and make a left into the trees and about a block in was an area slightly lower than the surrounding area.

Weekend 4x4 people would drive in and follow that stream down to the river.

They never knew we were there unless we went down to swim in the river...

That's stealth camping!

Haven't been there in 40+ years, I think it was fracked and a big bunch is now state land...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts