The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two years ago my son and I stealth camped on a turkey hunt. Had always wanted to try it. We got to our spot the night before about 10:30pm. Took our hunting gear, plus sleeping gear in with us and slept under the stars. Was nice in that the next morning we didn't' have to hump it up the mountain and exhaust ourselves right before dawn. We had a tarp in case it rained but we didn't need it. Wondering if anyone else has camped out the night before a hunt.

BTW - this was on private property. I'm aware of the no camping rules on SGL's.

·
Registered
9,848 Posts
When I was younger, I was a guide/packer in Montana. We weren't hunting, but scouting and we just put our packs on and slept wherever we finished the day for a couple days. Same as you we took a tarp with us and used it for one semi-miserable night. One night we slept at around 10,000 feet. We had elk bugling a little as we went to sleep. Woke up in the morning and watched a couple mountain goats above us as we ate breakfast.

·
Registered
24,815 Posts
One time in the Adirondaks deer hunting... Our group had a tent/lean-to camp set up... Was warm and dry and extremely noisy walking.. I decided to not return to camp and spend the night in the woods; Naturally I informed the group of my decision so they would not go into panic mode... had an MRE water and that was it, along with my rifle & knife..

Huddled up next to a stump and spent the night. All for naught, never did see a deer
A long cold night and the worst part was the MRE should have had an instant coffee but instead had cocoa
was Not a happy camper so to speak!

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
Hey thimbledoinker, say this 3X real fast.

"The Stump thought the Skunk Stunk and the Skunk thought the Stump Stunk."

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
What if the stump sunk while the skunk stunk?

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Unless you were trespassing, it was just camping. "Stealth campers" are just lazy dirtbags who listened to to much 5 man electric band and assume they are special snowflakes. From every site that I have seen they seem to promote trespassing without openly saying it.

Camping by being in a place you are allowed to be and using "leave no trace" principles is a great way to camp. You can hang a hammock in any national forest, the only restriction is you cant have a open fire. A 30 dollar backpack stove and a little prior planning will solve food problems.
It isnt "stealth" anything. I guess if your tarp is green you can call it stealth. My pack is green gray, the hammock is green brown, and the bug net is black, so I guess I "stealth camp", at least until I start snoring.

Yes I have humped in for a hunt. It is kind of nice as long as the weather is good.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Varmintmist said:
Unless you were trespassing, it was just camping. "Stealth campers" are just lazy dirtbags who listened to to much 5 man electric band and assume they are special snowflakes. From every site that I have seen they seem to promote trespassing without openly saying it.

Camping by being in a place you are allowed to be and using "leave no trace" principles is a great way to camp. You can hang a hammock in any national forest, the only restriction is you cant have a open fire. A 30 dollar backpack stove and a little prior planning will solve food problems.
It isnt "stealth" anything. I guess if your tarp is green you can call it stealth. My pack is green gray, the hammock is green brown, and the bug net is black, so I guess I "stealth camp", at least until I start snoring.

Yes I have humped in for a hunt. It is kind of nice as long as the weather is good.
Well, I'll agree to disagree with your definition of "Stealth Camp". Stealth Camping encompasses camping in places that are normally not considered camp sites. The term was corrupted by those who do camp illegally and it is not fair to consider all who camp in this fashion as doing something illicit. We camped in a place we have permission to hunt and the owner of the land knew we were there. His only issue to us was no fires, and we honored his request, and did not light one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts