The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
I guess these are the one's made out of aluminum.From what I read it could be very expensive to repair if involved in an accident.Just sayin.

·
Registered
9,485 Posts
Plus Ford is tryin to train their tech,s to properly work and repair damaged alum.panels.There is limited places currently that can correctly to such repairs which will in turn cause an extended time to get the truck back.I would think by the end of the year it should be ironed out.

·
Registered
19,651 Posts
That is part of why sales are lagging, FORD does not have enough shops with trained techs to work on the aluminum frames and bodies.

To radical of a change....I'm going to let them work out the bugs before I would buy one. Also wonder how they are going to work out here in the NE with the road salt.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Motortrend has a video out where they take a sledge hammer to the '15 F150 to compare the cost of body work. It ended up costing double.

·
Registered
10,309 Posts
rt9bil said:
Motortrend has a video out where they take a sledge hammer to the '15 F150 to compare the cost of body work. It ended up costing double.
If actually the case then yes someone is gonna pick up the cost.

·
Registered
9,848 Posts
I just bought a new 150 at the beginning of January. My old one was an '07. I bought a '14 just because I got such a good deal on it. My insurance actually went down $75 because it was rated higher on safety features than my '07. I checked into insurance cost for a '15 that I was also considering and the diff was about $70.
Don't know that I'd not buy one for that amount moving forward. I just got a great deal on the leftover '14 and it was exactly what I wanted.
These aluminum bodies are the future of all vehicles with the gas mileage requirements coming. May as well just get used to them.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I can't imagine what the calcium chloride and salt PennDOT uses is going to do to the underside of them. Look what it does to aluminum rims and they get a clear coat on them.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I also was going to wait to the end of the year to buy one in order for Ford to worked out the kinks. I was all hyped about buying one of these because Ford said the truck would get 30 mpg on the highway. NOW THAT IS *NOT* THE CASE WITH Their advertisement.

·
Registered
9,485 Posts
I didn,t say there wouldn,t be a next time.Just no currently.Remember how L.Iaccocca turned Chrysler around?They paid that loan off with interest way ahead of the time it was due.

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
http://business.time.com/2013/12/17/gm-ceo-were-not-paying-any-more-back-to-government/

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052748704462704575590642149103202

General Motors should have gone under. Horribly mismanaged and not competitive for years so we bail them? They did not nor will they ever repay the tax payer funded loans. It was never about cars it was about pensions and union labor and an administrations puppet for a failed green car (volt).
How bout the average Joe stock holders and the 401's carring Gm stock? Great deal for them right? The unions were bailed and the stock holders screwed. The remaning tax breaks on this deal are tilted against their competitors for years. Its a joke and left to their own management they will fail again.
This is not an Iaccocca success story. My family were die hard chevy folks for 65 years but never again will gm see a penny from me or my family.

·
Registered
115 Posts
My wife has a 2013 Nissan Altima, which has an aluminum hood, roof and trunk. I haven't noticed any issues after 2 PA winters and plenty of road salt.

·
Super Moderator
4,596 Posts
Road salt wouldn't affect a roof,hood or trunk.I work on cars so I see the issues.Take a Chevy Impala for example,it uses an aluminum engine subframe.I have seen zero salt issues with them.Not a spot of salt caused corrosion.I have seen hundreds of steel frames and subframes rotted out beyond repair other than replacement.I will not replace brake lines or fuel lines with steel.Brake lines get nickle/copper and fuel lines get nylon.The only problem with aluminum is where steel is in contact with it.Brake caliper made of aluminun is fine until a steel bleeder screw is installed.They should use a brass screw.They use brass screws in aluminum thermostat housings and it works great.My guess is if they used good fasteners the aluminum would out live steel.Carbon fiber would be better for the body.Wait until they figure out how to make graphene cheap.It will be everywhere.It's stronger than steel.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts