The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a Black and Tan pup he's 3 months old is awesome so far just looking for anyone that can shed some light on the breed not a lot of them around in my area

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
I use to run black & tans, I loved them for endurance and a great voice. Many other breeds have the same. The ones I had were some tree climbing fools. This was at least 20 years ago and we ran them on coon and everything else was trash.
We hunted the same stock used for bear and bore down south but our dogs were strictly trained for coon. Other than the bone headed stubbornness that makes them all night hunters the only issue I recall was with dew claws. We ended up having them removed as pups. Waugh!

·
Registered
301 Posts
I have a B&T male that we have killed 94 coyotes in front of. Smart dog and very lovable. I'm looking for a pup to train with him.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Is black and tan a breed or just a coloration? I've got a tri-color Tennessee Walker (best guess anyway - he's a rescue), ten months old and loves going out to the woods with me. He got away once (my heart dropped), but now he's on an e-collar, so we'll see how that goes. I'm new to hunting with dogs, so I'm hoping to learn whatever I can from you all.

Attachments

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Is black and tan a breed or just a coloration? I've got a tri-color Tennessee Walker (best guess anyway - he's a rescue), ten months old and loves going out to the woods with me. He got away once (my heart dropped), but now he's on an e-collar, so we'll see how that goes. I'm new to hunting with dogs, so I'm hoping to learn whatever I can from you all.

In this case. The OP statement indicates he was talking about the black and tan breed of dog. I also was talking breed of dog when I replied.

A walker is a type of large hound.
A Tennessee Walker is a type of horse.

Walkers are good hounds for whatever you allow them to hunt. Not my style never was but that is a choice. Walkers are very capable hounds and great dogs to have. Waugh!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts