The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been thinking of buying a SIG SAUER P226 in 9mm. But dont know much about them. Are they a polymer frame or are they steel. Any info on sig sauer pistols would be appreciated

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have a p250 which I love...I believe the 226 is steel. I also have an springfield xd9 subcompact which is very nice and light it is polymer with a steel slide....

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
The only polymer on a 226 is the grips. They are heavy, but but are real good shooters.My only complaint is the rails dry out and I am always applying oil to the rails. The Sig SP2022 series are polymer frames.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I have a sig p229 40 cal night sights I really like its accuracy nice shooter does't have polymer frame what about a H&K USP 9mm they have a polymer frame

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
I had a 220 .45ACP several years ago. I still kick myself for selling it. I've shot a bunch of handguns and I can shoot the sig the best.

·
Registered
378 Posts
My old P226 is aluminum frame, steel slide. Very accurate pistol. Probably one of the most accurate combat sidearms I own. It's no compact, and has a hand-filling grip. Very reliable gun too. I personally am not crazy as to where the slide release is on the SIG compared to a 1911 but if you acclimate yourself to it, it's fine.

Workmanship and quality are top-notch. The gun is as accurate as the test target that comes shipped with it. (They did this on the W. German built guns, don't know if they still do it today.)

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
i bought a sig sauer p226 40cal over the summer,i finally saved up enough to finally make the buy and man am i glad i did,absolutely the best shooting handgun out of the box i ever owned.the navy seals use the P226 so that should tell you something.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
i have a 226 in 40...

like was said, its a full sized pistol...if you have small hands it might be a handful...its a bit large for CC, but under a hoodie, you'll have to look to see if i have mine..even a t-shirt i can get away with it if its not a real tight one...an inside the pants holster would likely make it pretty much disappear...i am just waitin to order a good one..

shoots and functions great...every sig ive shot has...and ive shot a TON of 226, 228 and 229s in 9mm, 40 and 357 sig..

they are alum and steel...not the lightest guns in the world...not the highest mag capacities in the world...but they shoot well and function well...hard to beat them IMO...

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I have a a 220 (.45) and a 225 (9mm). love them. The 220 I picked up a few months back and it outshoots anything I have ever shot and I have now designated it my "match gun". The 225 I just picked up 2 weeks ago. hopefully soon a sig in .40 is in my near future. I'm sold on them.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
You can't go wrong with a Sig.

I wouldn't however limit myself before checking them all out. You may find something that feels better in your hand. HK, Glock, S&W, Walther, etc. there are several good pistols available.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I only had one issue with a Sig. Every 7 to 8 years we get new Sigs at work since Sig gives us $350 for the used Sigs. It is easier for us to get new Sigs vs the cost of new night sights and springs and the time of the armorer to replace everything. I got issued one of the first railed versions of the 226 and the one grip screw was too long. We went to the range to qualify and I was unable to remove a partially loaded magazine. Once the magazine was removed you could see where the screw made contact. The armorer checked the whole shipment and every one that Sig sent us had that problem. We had extra grip screws so it was not a big problem since it was discovered at the range.

You can't go wrong with a Sig,Glock,H&K or Kimber.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I trust a Sig 220 with my life everyday...as stated before, any Sig is a quality gun. This is comming from a di-hard glock fan.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I've shot the Sig, excellent weapon, fine craftmanship you can't go wrong with it. However I own a Glock 19 and see no reason to change.

·
Registered
747 Posts
They'r good guns. I prefer Glock but the Sigs do shoot quite well. The 226 in 9mm is argued by some to be one of the best combat handguns of all times. Seals are supposed to use'm. Some others also use the 228, SS uses the 229 you can argue what about "cheapest" gets the contract but sigs are good. Just not as tough as the Glocks in my opinion. Try and see which you like best you'll love it.
I had a 229 that was one of the most accurate I've ever owned it was in 357 sig. Use a 220 on a daily basis, had some issues with it but sig always looked out for me.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
The most accurate combat type of semi I ever shot was a family members gov't issue Sig 226 in 9mm. I could put round after round exactly where I was aiming.

With that being said, when I bought a similar gun, I went with the Glock 23 in 40 S&W. My next will be a Glock in 45 ACP

·
Registered
753 Posts
I own a Sig 226 NAVY model 9mm. It is a very accurate handgun. It is large for a CCW weapon but with the right holster it will work fine. You won't go wrong with a Sig 226. Doc in Pa.Its a

1 - 20 of 31 Posts