The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for an AR10 / .308, lots and lots of options out there.

Anyone have one? Likes/dislikes/Suggestions?

Somebody suggested the Fulton Armory AR10 and it's a nice piece but very pricey. I've seen good reviews for Bushmaster, but I'd like to hear from folks who have an AR10 or who know more about them.

Thanks!

BH

·
Registered
408 Posts
Bushmaster closed its doors in April. If you can find one w/ a low serial number, it might be an original. Other than that, they were made by another company (I forget the name), with parts from Bushmaster. I got a .308 w/ a very low number from a guy who worked at Bushmaster, so he gave me this info. This gun was factory new, and recently auctioned off to him as an employee, and I got it for $1200.00. Real bushmasters are great guns, the "assembled" ones are not made to the same specs, and therefore not as good. Also, mags for the original bushmasters are like hens teeth. Very hard to find as their are so many knock-offs out there, that do not fit. Do your research before buying one, as you may not be able to find mags for it.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
break it in as they suggest. My 16" AP4 shoots federal match around .75". About the same with my handloads, surplus shoots about 1.5"
I use and like the cproducts mags.
Just don't expect to hunt with it, you can't be trusted with it! But Maryland and West Virginia trust you.

·
Registered
25,546 Posts
Bushmaster and DPMS have both been acquired by Cerberus Capital Mgt., the parent company of Remington Arms.

IIRC, the old Bushmaster plant in Maine was closed and Bushmaster production moved to Remington's Ilion, NY plant?

Cerberus now owns Remington, Marlin, NEF/H&R, Bushmaster, DPMS and probably some others I've forgotten.

·
Registered
19,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info old greybeard, I'm really looking forward to getting it, the lead time is 3 months (arg!) so it won't be late Oct until I get it. Hunting w/it wasn't my highest priority, BUT, I do think it may come in handy on hogs next time I head down to South Carolina. In the mean time I may just have to buy a Ruger Mini-30 to play with

Any suggestions on optics? I've always used Leupold 3x9s on all my rifles, but I've never had anything like the Panther 308L.

BH

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Leupold or Nikon 4.5-14 Mildot Scope would be my suggestion in an Armalite scope mount. The scope mount is medium height and can accept up to a 50MM scope.

·
Registered
25,546 Posts
If you get a Mini 30, try some Wolf milsurp ammo in it. Mine is an older one, but will not shoot Rem. ammo fer diddly. But it loves Wolf stuff. Mini 30 "lore" holds that the older ones had larger bores to suit milsurp ammo, but some have 308 bores?

Wolf is primarily loaded with bullets that run about .310, while Rem. ammo is loaded with .308 bullets.

Mostly shoot Wolf loaded with 122gr and 124gr HP bullets, but it does okay with their FMJ stuff.

·
Registered
19,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the tips guys.

Next question- I'm looking at a Leupold VX-R, 3-9 power scope, 30mm tube diam, 40mm Obj lens, to put on the DMPS Panther 308L. In terms of mounts/rings for the scope, is there anything "rail-specific" I need to know when ordering them? I've never had an AR-type rifle, so I know Nuth-Ink! about rails.

Thanks!

BH

1 - 13 of 13 Posts