The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a Simmons 2x on my Redhawk.
Bought a slug gun off my buddy that had a red dot on it and I'm loving the quickness of getting that dot on target.
I'm still havin a hard time getting a full sight picture as soon as I pull it up on occasion. Thinking a red dot would be the way to go.
Anyone use one and like it? Will they hold up to the recoil of a 44 mag?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a red dot on a SRH .44
It is the Leopold Gilmore model that Leupold ran away from. I had it replaced 4 times until it was resolved.The glue inside came apart and left flakes in it internally that you could see on teh sight glass in teh tube or the tubes would come loose and the gas would escape.
I wouldnt shoot anything else if you are interested in fast target aquisition.
Almost instinctive shooting - great for the thick stuff or close runnning shots.

·
Registered
778 Posts
My dad has one on his 44 mag Contender. He has been using it for about 5 years and never had a problem. Not sure of the make?

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
i have a tasco pro dot 30mm on my superblack hawk even though itsa tasco i love the thing for brush and bear its handled every thing put though it in the last 4 or so years
if i was gona get a new one i would look at the bushnell trophy red dot you can change it to dot/circle with dot/ large dot/cross hairs and go red or green

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Just put one on my Superblackhawk,an old ultra dot that I had laying around.Haven't shot it yet but have been practicing aquiring targets on deer in the yard thru the picture window.I really like the speed that I can pick up the target,but I'm not really crazy about having to rely on batteries to make the sight work.

·
Registered
889 Posts
IMO the red dot scope is the only way to go on a revolver(if you want to scope it). A red dot eliminates any eye relief problems, which will occur ib hunting situations. And a good red dot is easily a 100 yard sighting system. Tom.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
my 500 trashed 2 red dots, so i went to a leupold scope

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've had a Tasco ProPoint on my Redhawk .44 for a couple of years. It's held up to the recoil just fine, and is a nice combo in deer season.

·
Registered
78 Posts
A good friend of mine has a red dot oh his .454 Cassul and loves it. I don't doubt you will like what you have found.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Got around 1000 rounds of 454 Casull on a Ultradot without any troubles. Seems bulletproof and the prices are reasonable.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Just put an ultradot on a SuperBlackhawk and shot it for the first time.Finding the target is easier than with a magnified scope and seems to group fine but the farther I get from the target I find myself having to bear down really hard to hit where I want.I think that it will be fine for hunting situations and really good for 50 yards and under.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
We all have opinions. Mine is that up to 50 yards the reddot is better. After that a scope is better. I know my 44 Redhawk will kill at 100 yards if I can do my part.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I only had 2 handguns with "other" sights on them. A Model 629 S&W with a 1 1/2 to 4 Burris and a Taurus Raging Bull .454 with the Bushnell Holosight. I have fired handguns equipped with red dot sights but for my money, The Holosight wins hands down.

·
Registered
403 Posts
This is a combo purchase I would like to start exploring. Started with a flintlock last year for a new challenge in deer hunting and had some success and a lot of fun. I have a handgun for protection but none for hunting deer...yet. Any suggestions/opinions on buying new vs. used? If used, any in the York area with solid credentials? I have purchased all my new guns from Artistic Edges in York but not sure if he has a regular supply of used handguns.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts