The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad is considering buying one, and NO, he doesn't want to shoot 100 yards with it. He just wants one, mainly because it has the hand crank and you can decock it without firing it. I was wondering if anyone on here has one and what is your experience with it?

I am not looking for opinions on the X-bow or opinions on what he should buy. Just looking for actual experience with the Ravin X-bow. Thanks in advance for any info.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
can't help you with a Ravin , but I have a Tenpoint X-bow Titan HLX model with acudraw on it with a scope, works real nice and not to heavy to hold or carry. good luck on your search and decision

·
Registered
429 Posts
I have a friend who has one. Shoots fine, sounds like a rifle. I found one for less money, close to 400fps that is very quiet and can be had with a hand crank if you need it. IS very accurat, shoots 1/2 to 1 inch groups and better at 20yds.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Don't mean to hi jack but more like a PSA. Consumers Reports has a recall notice for the Ravin supplied nocks in the bolts. Seems they don't quite seat properly in xbow and can cause misfire/ not fire and issues when reseating bolt after trying to fire. Be careful Ravin shooters

·
Registered
175 Posts
I owned an r9 last year. Found it to be an excellent bow.
It was fast, good trigger on it to.
I thought it was very well made and I had no issues with it, except the narrowness. I even installed a level on the scope. I always had to watch that level. Maybe I didn't give it enough time, not sure there.
But the bow was excellent.
As for the recall, it has to do with the nocks. All the new arrows should come with the new orange nock.

The sub1 is a nice bow also. But it's heavy.
Then it's slow also. Put a 430 grain arrow in it, your at 335 fps.

An r9 with that arrow is at 375 fps.

Shoot both, see what you like.
Good luck.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Depends what you compare it to.
I had a katana 385 before also.
The k385 was quieter than the r9. But my r9 had no noise suppression items.
My excal 380 was louder than the r9. The excal had air brakes to.
I don't really worry about noise to much anymore, after the m380. Shot quite a few deer with it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'd also like to add for the OP.
Check ten point. There 3 new bows are pretty impressive.
I'm partial to the nitro x .
They are worth shooting before buying anything.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have the R9 and like it. I like the de-cocking feature. I like the weight of the bow. The size of the bow is also nice when sitting in a tree stand, the narrow frame saves a lot of space. Try it out and go from their!

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
I had the R-9 and really liked it. I got the R-15 when they came out. I liked both and they are a pleasure to shoot and carry. Ten Point has the NXT series now that is worth a look as well. I have both the NXT models and the R-10 and R-20 in stock. Stop by and shoot them if you're local.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts