The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was nosing aroung the gun shop today, I was looking for something very small I can carry while cutting firewood on the ANF. I came across a Jimenez model JA380 for $150, and put half down on it. I'm was looking for something utilitarian that I don't mind getting scratched up. I checked their website, and though it doesn't sound like it, it's made in the USA(Nevada). So, does anybody have one, and does it seem like it will make a good small concealed weapon?

·
Registered
893 Posts
No ,currently don't have one at least under THAT name brand.
Do not let it be said I look unfavorabily at inexpensive guns.
Because I do not.
Heck , I think hi point is a useable working cheap pistol.
But jimenez aka bryco aka jennings ....no.
What would a used Bersa 380 cost you?
Slightly more depending , that is true , but then you'd have something.
OR , just get a hi point instead.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I just noted your user handle, do you have any pumas?
Not to change the topic but if so , how you liking it/them?

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hunterx, I hunt deer with a puma 44-40. I love it, short and accurate, the furthest kill with it so far has been a doe at 75 yards.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After looking at some reviews, I can honestly say I like my fingers. I'll stop at the shop in the morning and switch it out with a hi-point.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did stop and switch with a hi-point, they asked why, and told them that there were too many lawsuits against them.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I have heard of Jose Jimenez, but not of a Jimenez handgun.

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
Also heard of Ubaldo Jimenez but not of a Jimenez handgun.

·
Registered
25,493 Posts
Here's all you need to know:

Unfortunately, I've some bad news. Jimenez Arms was formed from the wreckage of Bryco Arms, which declared bankruptcy after a court awarded damages to someone injured by one of their defective handguns. The LA Times reported on Feb. 4, 2005, that the California Department of Justice ordered Jimenez Arms (which is based in Costa Mesa) to stop manufacturing the JA-9 pistol on Jan. 13 of this year. (The story can be found at: http://www.latimes.com/news/local/orange/la-me-bryco4feb04,1,5596038.story?coll=...)

With firearms, the old adage "You get what you pay for" is truer than in many other situations. You're not alone, the very first pistol I ever bought was a $50 Jennings/Bryco J-22 that quickly shot itself apart. It's still in pieces in my gun safe waiting for the next gun buy-back program in Detroit.

As for your JA-9, I wouldn't shoot it. The article mentioned "parts coming off" the guns during testing. Considering that 9mm semi-automatic pistols harness the 360 or so foot-pounds of energy the 9mm cartridge generates upon firing to operate the weapon, that's a considerable amount of force being applied to a firearm of suspect workmanship. The last thing you'd want is for the slide to break free of the frame while firing (since when you're aiming, your face is behind the slide and that's where it's heading). At any rate, I'd find the dealer who sold you the pistol and give him a good chewing out as he should have known about the DOJ order to Jimenez Arms in January.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
puma4440 said:
I did stop and switch with a hi-point, they asked why, and told them that there were too many lawsuits against them.
The hi point will serve you well as long as you don't expect too much. I have a 9mm, and it goes bang every time I pull the trigger. As much as I would like it to be smaller I normally use it when fishing. I either wear the holster or just stick it in my back pocket if wearing hip waders.

Eventhough it has adjustable sights they seem to be about worthless for fine tuning. It's no match grade gun, but it shoots just fine in instances when aiming isn't really required. At least I can't shoot it that great. Now my buddies beretta.........

Also, The manual says to field strip and clean every 1500 rounds or so. Don't bother. It takes a bit to get it apart, and a lot more to get it back together. It will test you patience for sure. There are no parts than can rust inside that gun. Just spray some gun scrubber in it every few hundred shots. Good enough.

One last thing. Mine shoots just about everything. No feeding problems at all. Always goes bang when I squeeze the trigger except in one case. Don't use the Winchester USA 115 gr bulk packs in the white box. My gun hates them, and will jam about once every 4-5 shots. Everything else I used works just fine.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hunt/fish365,

Have you tried any +P rounds in it? The company rates them for it, though it says to shoot a few to make sure they cycle. Like I said, I'm just looking for an emergency utilitarian gun. I appreciate your review of the hi-point.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Maybe it is just me, but when I want a gun for self defense against a four footed or two footed critter, I want one I have confidence in and not an el-cheapo. Buy a good one and have it forever.

·
Registered
25,493 Posts
This time, it's not just you.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
puma4440 said:
hunt/fish365,

Have you tried any +P rounds in it? The company rates them for it, though it says to shoot a few to make sure they cycle. Like I said, I'm just looking for an emergency utilitarian gun. I appreciate your review of the hi-point.
I have tried a few factory loads, and one handload. No factory loadings were +P. The handloads are according to the loading manual. Those consist of Bullseye powder (forget the charge), and 115 gr Nosler HP's. They shoot perfectly out of my gun. Just not too sure if they got enough fps to properly open the bullet on impact. I would say how I know this, but the internet police would surely call me on it although most people would have done the same.

I know two other people that own or have owned hi point firearms. One was a 380, and he loved it (lost in devorse), and the other was a 45. No complaints from either other than you get what you pay for. The one that has the 45 complained about the cheapness in feel, and the lack of refinement. My reply was "what do ya want for $200?" My gun does feel like it was made by fisher price. No question about that, but if you look at it as a tool it won't bother you. It didn't bother me at all when I dropped mine in the mud a couple years ago. I wiped it off the best I could and continuedto use it.

I will say that after owning it for better than 10 years the next time I buy a gun of that nature I will spend some more money.

I basically bought mine so my wife would have something to shoot when we went to the range. After she shot it she informed me that she liked shooting my 44 mag a lot better as it felt like something. She actually liked the recoil. That all ended when we had kids. She hasn't fired a gun since.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
John S said:
Maybe it is just me, but when I want a gun for self defense against a four footed or two footed critter, I want one I have confidence in and not an el-cheapo. Buy a good one and have it forever.
I tried that route the first time, I bought a brand new Ruger P94 in .40 S&W, its been back to the factory and gunsmith about 5 times. Every time it comes out of the gun room, it breaks. I'm not knocking Ruger, I love their rifles, but I got a lemon of a pistol I would't give to anyone for self defense.

Though john, if your willing to pay the difference between the 2, I'll take you up on that offer
. I'd rather have a fighting chance with a hi-point, than be a victom with my ruger.

·
Registered
25,493 Posts
Ruger makes terrific rifles and six shooters. Wouldn't give ya a plug nickel for any of their semi pistols, especially their older models.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Guy has a ruger 44-40 pistol in the traders forum here.
Make a nice companian piece.
Just thinking out loud of course....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts