The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went this afternoon and picked up a couple small crappie. I talked to one guy at the park spot and he said he caught 10 and had three in the bucket. Nothing taste better than crappie caught right after ice out. I'm sure they taste just as good caught through the ice, but that ain't my thang

·
Registered
388 Posts
I've Been doing a lot of smallmouth fishing caught a total of 17 this week with this warm weather it's turning the bite on!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yes been out crappie fishing each evening since wednesday. Certain days the fishing has been great, other days its a bust. Yesterday afternoon/evening the bite was hot.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
went this afternoon for a few hours and caught 30 or so. I kept 7 blugill and 3 crappie. Not the biggest but will fill my gut on Friday.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was using a gold Trout Magnet jig head with Berkley 1" emerald gulp minnows. I was fishing structure with a float rigged about three feet over the jig. A guy next to me was using the same setup, but he was using white trout magnet bodies. He also did real good.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Thanks, thats the setup I was planning on using yeasterday but when I got to the lake I figured out I left them at home Haha.

·
Registered
106 Posts
1/32 ball head jigs under a slip float, 1" gulp minnow, trout magnets, plastic mousies, panfish assassins, marabou jigs with a touch of polar flash. Brighter colors or black in cloudy water, as the water clears more subdued colors. The bite is heavily dependent on the weather right now. A little chop on the water seems to help.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Caught around 30 on Wed, kept 6. Yesterday afternoon I went for a couple hours and really got into the Bluegill, kept 10 gills and 2 crappie. They were really starting to bite but I had to be somewhere so I pulled out early.

·
Registered
246 Posts
When using a slip floats is the little stopper knot above the float adjustable? What kind of floats do you guys use? I'm new to slip floats and want to give it a try.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yes the knot is adjustable, simply slide the knot up or down the line to set the float to the desired depth. I'm not partial any particular brand of float. Some brands ride in the water better than others, some cast better, etc.

·
Registered
773 Posts
So about how deep are the crappies this time of year? Can they be targeted from the bank? Also when using a bobber, do you jig it at all? Doesn't the noise from the bobber scare the fish?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Went out yesterday afternoon for a couple hours. Caught 1 bass and no crappies. Decided there were no more fish left in reservoir and started home. On way out saw a guy with a sack full of good size crappies. Guess it was just one of those days.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Depth of the fish varies from location to location and changes daily depending on water temp, water clarity and barometric pressure in my opinion. Experiment with float depth until you find what works. I jig, shake, swim or let the wave action move the jig, the fish will let you know the best presentation from day to day. Noise isn't usually an issue in fact it may help, again my opinion. I usually place a small split shot or two above the barrel swivel and below the float to balance the float, when jigged the shot also bangs off the stem of the float and creates a rattling noise.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts