The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a few on the dog in the spring but nothing like the past few years. I quit combing the dog after our morning and evening walks because there weren't any ticks. Is the infestation declining? Has the weather hampered tick breeding? Is anyone else not seeing ticks this year?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Daily outings here since 5/1, taken 4 off Dublin.....3 in one day, 2 of those embedded. That was a day we spent crawling through a clearcut. Not sure if it's the Seresto collar or what.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Aces'nEights said:
Daily outings here since 5/1, taken 4 off Dublin.....3 in one day, 2 of those embedded. That was a day we spent crawling through a clearcut. Not sure if it's the Seresto collar or what.
has the seresto collar been successful for you in the past? Just got a pup and was thinking of getting this, but if its all hype wont waste the dough.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would be curious about the Seresto collar effectiveness too. For years I have used Frontline Plus, but now that the patent has expired I switched to Pet Action Plus. Same thing but cheaper.

I also put a tick collar on the dog and when the ticks are bad, I comb her after every run. So far this year I have not see the ticks as prevalent as before.

I got a Seresto collar and I am going to try it. I would only use it and not the topical and tick collar. Vet said it was good. Wondering how others felt about it.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
been using the seresto collars for 2 years now .
its not bullet proof , nothing is.
I still pull ticks off my dog but I havn't had any imbed since switching to them.
they might bite but they start dying soon as they do

·
Registered
90 Posts
This is my first Seresto......so far (2 months) so good. Vet called it 90% effective? Id' recommend buying on line though.

I'd be surprised if weather had much effect on tick #'s since mouse populations are the limiting factor as I understand it? Reltively mild winter last year although the previous two may be catching up? Who know?

·
Registered
18,565 Posts
Last year we had a flea and tick problem. Went out and picked up the Seresto collars and in two days the fleas and ticks were gone and gone all year. There were times after a hunt the beagles would have ticks on them but never had any stay or dig in. The seresto is good to go. I spray my yard and there has been massive spraying for gypsy caterpillars and skeeters / black flies here in the northeast. Not sure but seems fleas and ticks are in check and I am only using the frontline plus knockoff this year and having no issues. If it stops working I will grab the Serestos. Waugh!

·
Registered
964 Posts
The Seresto collar is the best thing I've done for my dogs. No ticks, period!! Luck is probably a factor, but I'm sold, and they're really not that expensive if you consider they last eight months.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I've also had great luck with Seresto no imbedded ticks a few dead ones especially when I hunt Southern Potter

·
Registered
90 Posts
Actually my dog managed to chew a very small piece off it that I never found while kenneled with no obvious effects. He is starting to show signs of some irritation under his neck though.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Love Seresto but dog developed a rash so discontinuing. Vet Tech @ Seresto advised I can immediately begin using a topical and advised that they actually recommend using Advantix II in conjunction with the collar. Begs the question why bother with the collar? It was very good at keeping him tick free tho.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Anyone's dog experience diarrhea when starting seresto collar?

Put one on my 11 week old pup on Friday, and Sunday he had a bout of it. Nothing else changed in his diet or meds.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts