The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got some pictures from a friend at one of my spots. Is that what I think it is?

Thanks

·
Registered
997 Posts
tough to tell from pictures but those almost look more like gills than blunt ridges which would make it a false chanterelle. Are they pure white inside? Anyway I found some black trumpets the other day.

·
Registered
16,458 Posts
Just a guess off a pic, but my guess, which is usually fairly educated on such matters, is NO it's not what you think it is. Chant "caps" typically look like the bell end of a dented up French Horn. Chants also have non-typical or non-uniformed gills under the cap. Hard to ID from pics sometimes.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Found some this past weekend in fayette county. They were very small and dried out. I also found a sulfur shelf a little past prime and oysters that were perfect. If only I could of found a rattler!

·
Registered
233 Posts
I'm positive those are not chanterelles in the first pic. But those are really beautiful chanterelles in the second. They have that nice creamy color. I found some last weekend on Mt. Nittany in Centre Co along with some sulfur shelf/chicken of the woods. Good eating.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts