The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
to plow and disc their plot? I bought this Craftsman Garden Tractor to mow around the house where my tractor and finish mower can't fit into that well. Bought this from a retired guy who had completely redid this late 90's Craftsman Garden Tractor for his sister who had passed away before she could use it. Anyway it came with this plow and disc. Was thinking about selling it as I have a 2 bottom plow and a 3pt disc for the farm tractor at home. Then I got to thinking that maybe I could use the plow and disc in Ohio. Now I know it would be slow, but I have a truck and trailer big enough to haul this thing down to camp. I don't have a truck and trailer to haul a 65HP tractor. Anyone ever use one? Any tips/pointers would be appreciated. MY FIL has wheel weights that will fit the mower and this is an actual garden tractor. It has a H/L range giving you 6 forward 2 reverse. The low range is really geared low.

Untitled by cspot12, on Flickr

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Friggin thing looks brand new!! I'm sure breaking new ground would be a little slow goin, but I'm sure it will work! If you spray first and everything is dead, it might not even be as slow as you might think.

I think it's worth a shot for sure. Then you can put together a chain drag for smoothing out the tilled dirt. Keep us posted with pics!

·
Registered
975 Posts
Yep, been using these for a few years. I did swap them over to 3pt and they work much better. For the few times they are used it's not worth getting something better.

Attachments

·
Registered
303 Posts
I read a few tractor forums, and some guys use these on their gardens. PA is so rocky, they probably don't weigh enough for food plotting.

·
Registered
12,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Friggin thing looks brand new!! I'm sure breaking new ground would be a little slow goin, but I'm sure it will work! If you spray first and everything is dead, it might not even be as slow as you might think.

I think it's worth a shot for sure. Then you can put together a chain drag for smoothing out the tilled dirt. Keep us posted with pics!
The guy literally stripped the whole thing down and repainted the entire machine. Used a rust inhibiting paint for the black and then used Kubota Orange on the hood. The thing is in pretty good shape.

I may give it a try in PA when I go to plow my fall food plot and see what it does. Like I said I didn't buy it for the plow and disc, but was curious maybe if it would be of some use in Ohio. I may sell them and get a tiller to mount on the back of it. Get the kind that has it's own engine.

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
I do excavating and landscaping. If you have soft ground it might work. When the ground is hard , rocky, etc. its a loosing battle with a toy. Also the smaller stuff will bend and break easy. I have one perk owning 2 bobcats is that I bought a 6' tiller for it and it works good. Different equipment for different conditions.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Did some work on my plot today so took before and after pics. We have had very little rain in my area so the field was very dry and hard. Pic one is after plowing and pic two is after two passes with the disk. Nothing bent or broken, it just takes a little more time.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Used it for about an 1/2 hour today.

Not really. Used the 65 HP tractor. Hope to plant in a few weeks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts