The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I know all the jokes! How'd you get them in the pipe? or Don't the bones poke through the paper?

I have some trout in the Luhr Jensen Little Chief that should be done here shortly. If you have done this do you just warm them back up to eat? Or give me some suggestions please. Most of the recepies I have found are for some sort of dip that calls for smoked fish.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
assuming you are hot smoking...i actually like cold smoked fish. I woudln't do it with trout, but salmon coming out of the salt water...mmm...

I've had hot smoked steelhead and trout before, the secret is in the "sauce" and most folks go WAY overboard on the salt.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Here's a recipe, ought to do 2 or 3 fish:

1 quart water
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup salt
Nice pinch of garlic powder, shot of soy sauce, small pinch of dill

Place gutted whole trout in brine to cover, brine for 12 hours. Remove from brine, rinse, and allow to air dry about 2 hours. Place in smoker at 150-160 degrees for 12 hours, I use hickory sawdust. Let cool & enjoy!

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I have used my little chief several times to smoke trout. it works very well, just don't be in a hurry. I normally leave them in the smoker for about 15 hours and burn 3 pans of alder. It is very easy to ruin your trout with a brine that is too salty. I figure that I am not making them to last months so I normally use twice the suger as I do salt and you want to use non iodized salt

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
I hot smoke them and eat cold.I fillet the fish and coat the fillets with kosher salt for 12 hours,then rinse it off with cold water.next I mix 2 bottles of low sodium soy sauce,I box of brown sugar,1 cup of honey,3 tablespoons of lemon juice,and a little black pepper.I soak the fillets for 2 days in this then smoke with either hickory or sweet maple wood.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
I use lil chief too for trout....smoke till dry. The bigger fish I make into trout dip with sourcream, chives etc..the smaller ones are like jerky and i eat cold.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
troutbert said:
xcountry said:
First off I know all the jokes! How'd you get them in the pipe? or Don't the bones poke through the paper?
Which end do you light? :)
Thanks for the ideas guys (and the joke to add to my list)!

I may have taken them out a little early b/c of having to go to work, they weren't like jerkey, but were pretty dry. I will heat them up before eating this time to make sure they are done well.

I used a similar recepie to what Uncle Nicky posted for the brine and used cherry wood for the smoke.

Thanks again.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Smoked trout is good cold on a cracker with cream cheese and capers and a little red onion, and of course a beer.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Trout...my whole smoked trout is dry ...like jerky, though not as tough. Though when they are fat trout the meat is still white and wet...small trout are cure dried. Yum. Whole strip pulls off fish and you eat it like jerky...I do all cold smoking though less than 125 degrees, no water.

·
Super Moderator
29,488 Posts
Uncle Nicky said:
Here's a recipe, ought to do 2 or 3 fish:

1 quart water
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup salt
Nice pinch of garlic powder, shot of soy sauce, small pinch of dill

Place gutted whole trout in brine to cover, brine for 12 hours. Remove from brine, rinse, and allow to air dry about 2 hours. Place in smoker at 150-160 degrees for 12 hours, I use hickory sawdust. Let cool & enjoy!
That's the same brine I use, but I add some apple juice as well. Half and half mix with the water.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have a Brinkman electric smoker. All I do with my trout is either sprinkle them with lemon pepper or cajun seasoning, fan out the body cavity so that they set upright on the rack, add water to my pan and smoke them with hickory for about 2 hours. Thats about all the time it takes to get an average sized trout (12") done. I use the "when the meat flakes apart" method to tell when they're done. I guess you can say I'm hot smoking them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts