The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just curious if any of you guys have ever had an animal you thought you dispatched "come back to life" on you. It was a few years ago, but I was trapping with my brother in law over thanksgiving and I dispatched a massive boar coon with a 22 short. We went to a car wash after the day to wash some major mud off of the truck. When I got out and looked in the bed the coon was in there walking around. When we skun it out we found out the bullet hit the skull and glanced off of it. I am assuming this just knocked him out. He said he had it happen with coon he dispatched with a pole in the past but never with a 22. Just curious if you guys ever had this happen. I am assuming it would get interesting with certain animals and scenarios.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Read my thread a couple under you. Happened to me this morn! Thought i had a fox as a gonner and next thing I know hes up looking, then running! Still managed to get him though!

·
Registered
161 Posts
I never could figure out how hard to smack a mink. They are tough little buggers. I was checking traps with my boy and we had a mink at a culvert. I smacked it and put it aside, went to remake the set and when I was done, looked around and the mink was gone!
I stun them and then drown them now when I get a live one.
After about five minutes under water they don't come back to life.

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
it gets real interesting when a 20lb coon goes zombie in the back of an s-10 blazer. i dont use shorts anymore.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I had a female mink in a 1-1/2 at a pocket set boucing around this a few weeks back when we got to the set. Had my 9 year old daughter with me. This was the first time she got to see a mink in a trap. I wrapped it with the spade and held it under for a few then took it out of the trap and was rinsing it off when she yelled "dad it's still alive". I looked down and there she was staring back up at me. It was like reviving a trout. Had her around the chest and was shaking it back and forth under water to rinse off the mud and she came to. I just squeezed a little more and held on tight trying to act cool in front of the girl. It ended up good and we have a great memory from out on the line.

·
Registered
999 Posts
When I was in High school I ran a trap line.
One night I was dropping off a few rats and a coon at my local buyer. The guy asked me if the coon was dead. I looked at him in a puzzled way and said ofcourse.
Then he told me the story of a incident he had the night before when a raccoon got up and walked across the floor, From the carcase pile. The coon was brought in that day and skinned and the carcass laid in the pile till that night when he and a kid he had working for him liked to have had a heart attack when as he said the devil came to call. LOL
After that all heads came off after skinning.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
i would think any trapper who has some years under them would have had that happen . myself ,i can think of 5 or six times

·
Registered
339 Posts
montana bound said:
Then he told me the story of a incident he had the night before when a raccoon got up and walked across the floor, From the carcase pile. The coon was brought in that day and skinned and the carcass laid in the pile till that night when he and a kid he had working for him liked to have had a heart attack when as he said the devil came to call. LOL
not a good story to see on here.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have had it happen twice. One time a gray fox came back to life after runnin the line on my 4 wheeler. He was caught in the 1st check. I dispatched with the catch pole and put him in the box. About an hr later when I got home and opened the box up there he was just stairin at me. That got a little intense in the garage. With coon I dont use shorts on coon anymore either..

·
Registered
679 Posts
22 long rifle. head shot on a coyote. driving home I looked in the rearview and it was looking at me from the back of my 4runner.. A quick pullover and the job was done. Skinning revealed that the bullet did a funny ricochet of of the eye socket. It was out cold for a solid 5 minutes... I've got a nice walking stick now. No blood. And no wondering...

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
montana bound said:
When I was in High school I ran a trap line.
One night I was dropping off a few rats and a coon at my local buyer. The guy asked me if the coon was dead. I looked at him in a puzzled way and said ofcourse.
Someone was yanking your chain.

·
Super Moderator
13,507 Posts
I was goose hunting and a buddy was trapping, he offered me a ride to another location, I boarded his John boat to be transported only to be greeted by a 40 pound beaver who was on his second life and occupied the space between us as we pushed off from bank.

It was an exciting next few minutes, but he got every thing under control and said it had happen to him before.

While hunting in MI for grouse I got one near the camp so I made a short stop back to camp to get a couple of more shells and to drop off the grouse preparing for a long afternoon hunt. I laid the grouse in the kitchen left the room and returned to see him run across the counter top onto the range and turn over a pan with warm grease left from lunch. I closed all the doors to other rooms to cut down his new found territory, However it still took me a good 5 minutes to catch him and it appeared he was getting stronger all the time. I might have caught him quicker, but I kept slipping in the grease.

Did you ever try to catch a grease grouse? Try it some time.

·
Registered
57 Posts
You betcha, Shorts aren"t what they use to be. They are junk... I had several boors this year I had trouble with.None made it to the jeep.No more shorts for me.
Dog duster

·
Registered
400 Posts
Coon are good at ressurection games, had it twice this year. One was missing from my truck at the next stop. Back-tracked after him and he was gone; his tracks on the side of my truck.....

·
Registered
7,171 Posts
An owner of a lodge I used to stay at told me one year no more critters in the rooms. Said some guys came back to a maniac zombie turkey after dinner one night. And he didn't want to re model anymore rooms.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Ha good stories guys. Im always poking eyes on coons waiting for one to wake up on me. The more fox I catch the less I like coons!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts